Here's a little video review of my new Kiwaya KTS-7

Chris Tarman

Reaction score
This isn't really a full-on review, but more of a comparison between my Kiwaya and my vintage Martins. Since I shot this this evening, I actually measured the nut widths of the 2 Martins and the Kiwaya. The Kiwaya is about 1/16 inch wider, but to my hands, that is unnoticeable. Some people might be able to tell the difference, though, so I thought I'd mention it.

I'll try to get a REAL video posted soon!

Aloha Chris,
Hey man it looks awesome...Now I want one...thanks for the video and review...Happy strummings!! Have fun and enjoy!! MM Stan..

Looks and sounds really nice. Thanks for feeding my UAS.

Thanks--I love Kiwaya but have been curious about the 7. Very beautiful and a helpful review.

Good Review....isn't the "little white doohickie" called a taropatch?

No, a taropatch is (I believe) a 10-stringed instrument related to the ukulele.

Good review. Thanks Chris! Enjoy the little beauty.

That is a sweet uke. :) I can play this vid within eyeshot of my husband. He doesn't mind your vids so much. Must be something to do with the background. ;)

BEAUTIFUL uke. I have a KTC-1 . kept the original strings on because it sounds so sweet, but they do feel funny. I was told they are Hilo's. I have worths, southcoast , and aquillas on my other ukes. like the worth and southcoast the best. let me know what you end up liking on your Kiwaya. I have worth browns around and I might put those on, liked how they sounded on my (sold) vintage Martin 0.

Thanks Chris,,,,now I am intrigued to find out what it is called.

From what I've found, it's called a "parend" or sometimes a "shield." Looks like a curly bracket to me but then, I'm a programmer ;)

Symmetrically, it's the reverse of the fretboard end....

Nice review Chris....can't wait to hear it with different strings!

Last edited:
No, a taropatch is (I believe) a 10-stringed instrument related to the ukulele.

A taropatch is an 8-string (double courses), concert size ukulele; a tiple is a 10-string (steel) instrument, tuned like an ukulele.

Thanks for the review. These Kiwayas are so tempting. Would love to hear what it sounds like with Worth strings.

Congratulations on the new ukulele. Sweet! Even with the Hilos it has excellent tone. Can't imagine why they would string a uke of this caliber with Hilo strings. Hilos and Fremonts are not the same. Hilos are nylon. Freemonts are flourocarbon. I have a set of Freemont low g on my Kala travel tenor and I like their sound and feel. The only time I liked Hilos was when I strung one of my 25 classroom Mahalos with them and they were definitely an improvement and cheaper than Aquilas. Looking forward to hearing more of this new one.
Regards,
Ray

A taropatch is an 8-string (double courses), concert size ukulele; a tiple is a 10-string (steel) instrument, tuned like an ukulele.

Thanks for the review. These Kiwayas are so tempting. Would love to hear what it sounds like with Worth strings.

I was answering that off the cuff, but of course you're right!

Congratulations on the new ukulele. Sweet! Even with the Hilos it has excellent tone. Can't imagine why they would string a uke of this caliber with Hilo strings. Hilos and Fremonts are not the same. Hilos are nylon. Freemonts are flourocarbon. I have a set of Freemont low g on my Kala travel tenor and I like their sound and feel. The only time I liked Hilos was when I strung one of my 25 classroom Mahalos with them and they were definitely an improvement and cheaper than Aquilas. Looking forward to hearing more of this new one.
Regards,
Ray

I didn't think about it, but I have Fremont Blacklines with a low G on my Martin S-0, and these are definitely NOT the same strings. I ordered some Worth CMs from Elderly Friday night, so hopefully they'll be here in a few days.

That's a great looking ukulele. Thanks for the informative vid. I am interested in those Martin-esque Kiwayas.

Oh yeah, nice pipe collection too!

Top Bottom