Just Saw Jake Shimabukuro live!

MUCKSTER

Reaction score
I must say it was AMAZING! He came to my campus at UNC Wilmington and played a concert for $6 a student ticket. Just the way he strummed and how fast he was crazy. He was so cool and he signed my CD and Uke after the show. This has really gotten me to want to play again really bad and I have been for the last like 2 hours.

I was just wondering what the general concensous (sp?) on Jake is. It looks to me like he is going a far way in making the Uke more seen in the world as an instrument and not just a toy.

Saw Jakes performance last night too. Yes, it was AMAZING!

Yes, I believe ukulele is being taken much more seriously now. Last night's concert was sold out. Jake's concert in Asheville sold out earlier in the week and his Raleigh concert for tonight is already sold out.

Last edited:
Jake played my uke.

I was at the show too. We drove down from the Charlotte, NC area. It was well worth it. I've heard other people say this, but Jake was a really, really nice guy. He was extremely appreciative of his fans and took time after the show to meet everyone. The icing on the cake though was when he played my uke. I brought one of the ukes I made myself, and he said, "Do you mind if I play it?" Uhhhh, are you kidding me, what a compliment. And man did he make it sound good! The only problem is I didn't get it on video. My wife got a couple of pictures, but i wasn't prepared that he might actually play my uke.

Attachments

• IMG_9006.jpg
    IMG_9006.jpg
    88.9 KB · Views: 48
  • IMG_9008.jpg
    IMG_9008.jpg
    95.9 KB · Views: 38
I've heard other people say this, but Jake was a really, really nice guy.

That is very true. I've met him a few times, but one in particular was at a concert on the Marina in Hawaii Kai. During the intermission, one of my friends, who had taken lessons from him before he became an internaional icon, walked up to talk to him on the stage, since we had to go to another party and wanted to say hi. Jake still recognized him, and although the intermission was really for him to relax, and get rested, he spent it instead talking to us, and other excited fans. Really a classy guy.

I just want to know where he shops for clothes. He's got some pretty cool outfits.

Wow I didnt think there would be other people on here from Wilmington! I actually saw him playing your Uke I remember that. My friends and I were in the first group of people to get stuff signed but I then biked across campus really fast and got my Ukulele for him to sign. He really was such a cool guy.

Wow, too cool! Love the photos! I'm seriously considering buying tickets for his concert in Albany, NY. in July! I'm in Ohio, but Albany is the closest I'll get to seeing him this year. Plus it will be worth the road trip!

gtpenc, I was standing beside you when Jake was playing your uke, thought that was really cool, he must have been there for over an hour with all the people waiting to meet him.

Attachments

• IMG_1246.jpg
    IMG_1246.jpg
    95 KB · Views: 8
Top Bottom