PDA

View Full Version : "Accentuate The Positive"

Hippie Dribble
02-11-2011, 11:31 PM
hi gang!!!

this song was written in 1944, with lyrics by Johnny Mercer and music by Harold Arden.

It's a popular tune which, probably due to its catchy melody and uplifting sentiment, retains a lot of its appeal today, and is a great fun song to play on the uke.

It has been recorded by so many great artists over the years, from Bing Crosby with The Andrews Sisters, to Ella Fitzgerald, to Artie Shaw, Connie Francis and even Dr. John.

here is the link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BjB8JD791iM

When describing the inspiration behind the lyric to 'Pop Chronicles' radio documentary, johnny Mercer said: "I went to hear Father Divine and he had a sermon and his subject was 'you gotta accentuate the positive and eliminate the negative'. I thought Wow! What a colourful phrase!"

Hope you enjoy my interpretation of it. My daughter filmed it for me this afternoon in my wife's studio, and I used a mya moe soprano uke.

Blessings all!!! :)

mm stan
02-11-2011, 11:48 PM
Aloha Eugene,
Just love that song...never heard it in a long time....it is one of my old time favorites..Awesome job man....another one of your hits...to be on your CD!!!
Thanks for sharing.....and keep on sending them our way...MM Stan
Hey man, you never loaded up the army song too..I like that one.... woo woo 17 songs!!

olivah
02-11-2011, 11:49 PM
Bravo! nice one! who is "Mister in between"? he sounds like a scary guy...
Is that a chagall behind you?
Olivah

fitncrafty
02-12-2011, 04:18 AM
That was really great. It's a great song, In the matter of fact I tried to play that song but never got it to sound right. Your version is of course flawless!! Thanks so much for sharing!!!

roxhum
02-12-2011, 04:25 AM
Eugene, As always a wonderful choice of song. I love your taste in music and your presentation is fun and like fitncrafty said, flawless. Your wife is an artist, your daughter and a film maker and you a performer. You are a very creative and talented family.
Please keep them coming!

Hippie Dribble
02-13-2011, 01:18 AM
Aloha Eugene,
Just love that song...never heard it in a long time....it is one of my old time favorites..Awesome job man....another one of your hits...to be on your CD!!!
Thanks for sharing.....and keep on sending them our way...MM Stan
Hey man, you never loaded up the army song too..I like that one.... woo woo 17 songs!!

thanks brother Stan. You're so encouraging to all of us giving it a go mate, really appreciate your generosity of spirit buddy. :)

Hippie Dribble
02-13-2011, 01:23 AM
Bravo! nice one! who is "Mister in between"? he sounds like a scary guy...
Is that a chagall behind you?
Olivah

g'day Olivah. Thanks for posting a comment...

I guess "Mr In Between" kind of means you gotta make a choices in life to see things in a positive light or a negative one. The danger is indecision. If you procrastinate you're inevitably gonna waste your life away. That's what it means to me anyway. I know that from many painful years of experience, backing out of stuff and turning away from opportunities and being depressed because of it.

The painting on the easel isn't a Chagall, though me and my wife both love his stuff to bits. It's one of Fiona's paintings about David and Bethsheba. Cheers for the kind words mate! :o

Hippie Dribble
02-13-2011, 01:26 AM
Thanks heaps Carrie. Let me know if you want a copy of the chords I used. It's not so hard if you use a few little shortcuts (always looking for them!!!) :o

Hippie Dribble
02-13-2011, 01:30 AM
Thanks Roxie for saying those things...we're fortunate to live in a quiet and pretty isolated spot where we have time to do the things we enjoy. We home school our kids and try not to complicate things if we can help it. Lots of elbow room and space to breathe, time to reflect...always good for the soul I reckon. Also, now that the computer is fixed I can print up the discs...I'll be sending them off in a couple of days mate. :)