Fingers sticking

Noobie

Reaction score
I got a Kala koa wood ukulele for Christmas, which I love, but I have a problem where my fingers stick to the strings. I know there are various lube products out there but I'm worried they'll damage the wood finish. Any suggestions? Every time I lift my fingers off the strings they ring, and I can feel my finger "pop" off.

I wouldn't recommend any kind of string lube on nylon strings. Have you played with lotion on your hands, or something? That could make the strings sticky. I would wipe the strings down with a damp (not wet) rag and if that doesn't do the job maybe try just a dab of rubbing alcohol on a rag. (Note, be cautious here because some fretboards are "ebonized" with a dye and the alcohol might remove or smear it.)

If you use lotions or have sweaty hands, or if you've been working with chemicals, oils, etc., you should wash your hands before playing.

Keep in mind that, except when barring more than one string with a single finger, only the very tip of your finger should touch the string. Lift your fingers straight up. Lots of times people don't realize that they're pulling laterally against the string when they lift their fingers. This is sometimes done intentionally (called a pull off) but lots of times beginners do it all the time without realizing it.

Finally, as a last resort you might try a bit of talcum powder (or pool cue chalk) on your fingertips before playing. Be advised that this can work its way into the grain of the wood on the fretboard but it beats not being able to play the uke!

John

I got a Kala koa wood ukulele for Christmas, which I love, but I have a problem where my fingers stick to the strings.
that's sweet. :drool:

I got a Kala koa wood ukulele for Christmas, which I love, but I have a problem where my fingers stick to the strings. I know there are various lube products out there but I'm worried they'll damage the wood finish. Any suggestions? Every time I lift my fingers off the strings they ring, and I can feel my finger "pop" off.

Sorry I can't be of help...just wanted to say Welcome to UU :D And that's a sweet Uke you have! :drool:

Sorry to be ridiculously obvious, but you could always change your strings. In fact, it sounds like you definitely should. It seems like something has chemically affected your current strings. I've played a bunch of different nylon stringed instruments and have never experienced what you describe.

I don't know if I understand what you mean. Are your fingers sticking to the strings, as in they are tacky/sticky/gummy? Or do they just make a sound when you pull your fingers off a chord? I think the second one is kind of normal. Especially when we're new - we're kind of pressing the string into a big soft pad, where it makes a dent. I think it improves as calluses develop.

Uhh... Right? Because otherwise, I might have a problem, too. :(

I too would like to help but have never had this problem. That said, before uke I played guitar and have permanent callouses on my fretting hand. Can see how a new hand will be soft, so can only assume it is dragging from soft skin - the answer - keep playing!

How are you getting on?

Top Bottom