Different Tension Ukulele Strings

maikii

Reaction score
When one buys sets of classical guitar strings, there are usually a few different tensions to choose from, within a particular brand and model--low tension, sometimes super low, medium, medium-hard, hard, and extra hard.

Are there any uke strings that come in different tensions like that?

Ours are not listed as Soprano, Concert, etc., but Low, Medium & High Gauge. They are long enough to use on any ukulele. Then we let you know what sort of tension they will give on any given scale length.

The d'adarrio T2 titanium singles come with normal, hard, and xhard. These seem to be a popular choice. I have a set of the hards on my kanilea tenor. Many times classical guitar strings can be used for the uke. Ive tried different types but some of them dont always sound good. You have to experiment with them. Each brand and series will offer something different, but rarely will you see options for tension. You just have to test out different types or there are also some threads about different strings you could look up.

I did actually add the treble set to an order awhile back, but I'm not sure now what tuning I'm supposed to use them for, and what do I use for the 4th??? I figure a tenor in C tuning, but agian, the fourth string?? :eek:

D''Addario actually puts out pro arte ukulele sets now, which are just sets of four of their classical guitar strings, with the gauges chosen to work good in their opinion for various ukuleles. One string might be from a normal tension guitar set, another string in the same uke set might be from a hard tension gutiar set, etc.

By the way, when they talk now of "titanium" strings, do they really mean that the element titanium is in the strings, or is the term just used to mean "high level" such as "platinum credit card"?

D''Addario actually puts out pro arte ukulele sets now, which are just sets of four of their classical guitar strings, with the gauges chosen to work good in their opinion for various ukuleles. One string might be from a normal tension guitar set, another string in the same uke set might be from a hard tension gutiar set, etc.
The J71 (Tenor) string set consists of
A J4601 (Hard Tension)
E J4602 (Hard Tension)
C J4603 (Hard Tension)
G J4401 (Extra Hard Tension)

The J92 Concert set are normal tension strings (J45) using the J4501 as the A string and G string. D'Addario uses the following designations on the Pro Arte:
EJ45 (Normal)
EJ46 (Hard)
EJ44 (Extra Hard)

By the way, when they talk now of "titanium" strings, do they really mean that the element titanium is in the strings, or is the term just used to mean "high level" such as "platinum credit card"?
It's a monofilament string with a purple hue and a somewhat brighter tone than the Pro Artes.

The J71 (Tenor) string set consists of
A J4601 (Hard Tension)
E J4602 (Hard Tension)
C J4603 (Hard Tension)
G J4401 (Extra Hard Tension)

The J92 Concert set are normal tension strings (J45) using the J4501 as the A string and G string. D'Addario uses the following designations on the Pro Arte:
EJ45 (Normal)
EJ46 (Hard)
EJ44 (Extra Hard)

Yes, but folks should not let the tension descriptions on individual strings in those sets confuse one. Those are descriptons of the tension designations of those strings when used on a classical guitar, standard guitar tuning. The same strings used on a uke with uke tuning, totally different ball game. The description on the uke set is what D'Addario considers the tension of that set to be on the designated uke size.

It's a monofilament string with a purple hue and a somewhat brighter tone than the Pro Artes.

That is a description of the "titanium" strings. So really, I assume,. the strings have nothing to do with the metal titanium, but the title is only a marketing thing--to make them sound very special.

What does monofilament mean, compared with other strings? Are regular nylon strings multi-filament? What about fluorocarbon strings?

Fluorocarbon strings are also brighter than nylon strings. Are "titanium" strings somewhere between the two? How does the sound compare with nylgut (which I think could be placed in between nylon and carbon on the brightness scale as well)?

Carbon strings are thinner than nylon strings, for the same tension. How about "titanium".

I would guess that the purple hue is simply from a dye that they add to "titanium" strings, to give them a distinctive look?

That is a description of the "titanium" strings. So really, I assume,. the strings have nothing to do with the metal titanium, but the title is only a marketing thing--to make them sound very special.
Probably an advertising thing . . .
What does monofilament mean, compared with other strings? Are regular nylon strings multi-filament? What about fluorocarbon strings?
Monofilament means a single fibre of nylon or mixed polymers. All nylon strings are monofilament and I guess the same can be said of fluorocarbon strings. I don’t know of any multi-filament strings. Fluoro carbon strings are made of different polymers to make it stronger and also thinner.
Fluorocarbon strings are also brighter than nylon strings. Are "titanium" strings somewhere between the two? How does the sound compare with nylgut (which I think could be placed in between nylon and carbon on the brightness scale as well)?
Fluoro has a tendency to be brighter than nylons. IMO, T2’s are comparable to the Pro Artes or maybe a tad warmer. As far as Nylguts, I haven’t used them in two years. Also take into consideration the build of the instrument. The consensus is Nylguts will improve the sound of a laminate.
Carbon strings are thinner than nylon strings, for the same tension. How about "titanium".
Here are the diameters for T2 Hard, larger than fluoros.
T4601 .0285
T4602 .0325
T4603 .041

The following excerpt is from Curt Sheller’s site . . .
If the string material is the same, a smaller diameter string requires less tension at identical pitches.
If the diameter is the same, a denser material requires less tension at identical pitches.
Depending on how much smaller in diameter and the density of the material. A denser material and smaller diameter requires more or less tension.
I would guess that the purple hue is simply from a dye that they add to "titanium" strings, to give them a distinctive look?
You’re right, it gives them a distinctive look. Alohi String set from Ko’olau also has a purpulish hue. Guadalupe Strings has color options on some of their strings.

Top Bottom