Which Strings?

Surfing4ACure

Reaction score
Aloha, everyone. This is a great site. I'm fairly new to the ukulele world... def digging it. Seems that I have read a lot about aquila and worth strings. Right now, all my uke's have aquila strings on them. I was just wondering which strings work best with what kind of wood/uke? I currently own a curly mango, koa and mahogany. But I'd like to know other's besides mine for when I pick up other uke's. Also, which strings work best on acoustic-electric uke's? My Kala mahogany tenor is acoustic-electric. Much appreciated!

Yeah, I know strings are not that expensive but money is a bit limited right now. I didn't know if there was an agreeance amongst uke players as to what strings work best for a certain type of uke or wood? Thanks for the input.

Everybody is quick to spring for Aquilas, mostly because of what they can do for cheaper ukes. But other strings have more depth of tonal qualities from what I've found. look at some higher rated ones and take your pick, they all sound amazing! ^.^

Worths. Browns generally for mahogany, Clears for koa. Browns are considered a bit mellower, clears a little brighter or crisper, and a tiny bit higher tension. They also have "Fats", not much posted about people liking those though.

Southcoast Ukes has strings but though I just got some in have not tried them yet. There are people here who like them. Fremont Blacklines are similar to Worth Browns but a little higher tension. They look great on a lot of ukes because they are really black. Kala reds are not well favored. Ko'olau Golds eh, but they have some new strings out some people like.

Pretty much if you are just starting out you will probably like the Worth Brown mediums. They sound nice and they are comfortable on soft fingertips., and they look good on any uke.

Great info... thank you very much! I've been playing guitar for awhile so, thankfully, I have built up the calluses before coming over to the uke.

I use D'addario Pro Artes for both of my ukes. I have a mainland mahogany tenor (thanks to deach :D) and my beat up but reliable Lanikai CK-TEQ tenor koa. Love the sound the strings put out. Nice and mellow with great sustain. Best thing to do is just try out some strings and choose for yourself. Who knows, you might like a completely different set of strings. :)

Aloha, everyone. This is a great site. I'm fairly new to the ukulele world... def digging it. Seems that I have read a lot about aquila and worth strings. Right now, all my uke's have aquila strings on them. I was just wondering which strings work best with what kind of wood/uke? I currently own a curly mango, koa and mahogany. But I'd like to know other's besides mine for when I pick up other uke's. Also, which strings work best on acoustic-electric uke's? My Kala mahogany tenor is acoustic-electric. Much appreciated!
See the Uke Strings FYI also . . .

I find it fast and easy to order strings online from Elderly Instruments http://www.elderly.com/ or from Just Strings (http://www.juststrings.com

I just put Worth Browns (with a low G) on my Kala tenor with spruce top and spalted maple body. I like the Worths, still getting used to the low G.
--G

Try a bunch and see what you like. My favorite so far are the Martin Fluorocarbons.

+1 on Martins. They can be found at Guitar Center in the $6 range. I use them both on a vintage Martin and a modern Ohana. I will eventually try them on all my mahogany ukes. I like them a great deal.

Depends on the uke and on your ears.

I have tried a good handful of strings on each of my ukes, and have settled on different ones for each instrument. Experiment!

(+1 for Martin Flouros btw - I love them and have them on my Mainland)

You really should try a few out to see what you like. I changed fro Aquila to Worth (Browns) on my Baritone Kala (DGBE set) because there are no wound strings in the Worth set (because I found the Aquila wound strings didn't last long). I have Aquila's on my other Bari, and my Archtop tenor, but other ukes have LaBella and/or D'Addario strings, and I like them all.

It might be better to ask a thread 'What strings do people NOT like?'. For me, that would be GHS, I never got on with GHS strings.

Thanks for all the responses, very cool. Looks like I have a lot of testing to do. Thanks for all the great info... I really appreciate it!

Top Bottom