PDA

View Full Version : Snark or cherub

PhilUSAFRet
02-13-2011, 05:58 AM
Which tuner is better? Snark seems more well known, Cherub has some good reviews too. Does it really matter? Shop for price?

mm stan
02-13-2011, 06:33 AM
Aloha Phil,
I prefer my Cherub WST 550C Digital Chromatic Clip On tuner....as it has the digital display in increments in every note and I like the small unintrusive size on my headstock..
http://www.musicianuniversity.com/Guitars/Cherub-WST-550C-Tuner.html I hope it helps..Good luck and Happy Strummings..um...Happy Tunings I mean MM Stan

7string
02-13-2011, 12:57 PM
I have the Snark and it's a great thing.

I can see Stan's point about the size, but I also use Snark for tuning guitars and basses. Can't fault it as it even looks cool!

marymac
02-13-2011, 06:06 PM
Haven't tried a Cherub but I've tried Kala and Intelli tuners. Snark outperforms all the others.

ADD
02-13-2011, 09:41 PM
I love the Snark - both the blue and red are cool looking.

misty
02-13-2011, 11:51 PM
I have the cherub and my husband has the intelli. The intelli is much more sensitive and works on his electric and upright basses. It also allows more fine-tuning than the cherub because the cherub has a wider "in-tune" range. I have a snark on it's way after Bazmaz's review last week.

bazmaz
02-14-2011, 02:10 AM
I have the Snark AND the Cherub. The Snark is massively more sensitive and I believe more accurate too. I find when bang on in tune with the snark, the uke sounds that bit sweeter than with the cherub

My snark review here - I love it! - http://gotaukulele.blogspot.com/2011/02/snark-ukulele-tuner-review.html

7string
02-14-2011, 12:56 PM
I love the Snark - both the blue and red are cool looking.

The blue one is more for guitar, the red has an extended frequency range. The red also has a microphone which picks up a sound to be tuned.

Ingrate
02-14-2011, 01:36 PM
The blue one is more for guitar, the red has an extended frequency range. The red also has a microphone which picks up a sound to be tuned.

I use blue snarks, and they work just fine for 'ukuleles. The only thing absent is the microphone feature. I have no idea what the published "extended frequency range" refers to.

cletus
02-17-2011, 06:47 AM
I got the blue snark from Elderly Instruments yesterday. Definitely more sensitive than my Kala tuner.
I'm happy with my purchase, and would recommend it.

Mraz
02-19-2011, 05:26 PM
I've got the Blue Snark. Absolutely love it for my uke! :)

sugarinthegourd
02-19-2011, 11:37 PM
I havent tried the Cherub but the Snark is very good -- I have 4 of them. Beware the Intelli -- its "in-tune" range is extremely wide. The Intellitouch on the other hand is excellent -- these guys invented this type of device and I feel bad that so much of their market share has been gobbled up. But when the Snark is as good as it is, and just ten bucks, it's going to be hard for anyone else to compete. The only real question at this point is probably "Snark or Peterson"?

PhilUSAFRet
02-20-2011, 01:23 AM
I have looked, but haven't been able to find a Snark for $10

SailQwest
02-20-2011, 01:35 AM
Amazon: $7.99 + $4.99 shipping
eBay: $11.89 + free shipping

roxhum
02-20-2011, 02:34 AM
I just replaced my Intelli with a snark. I think I paid around $15 for it off ebay. Too soon to say if I love it. I just know the Intelli was useless if there was another instrument playing in the room.

Kanaka916
02-20-2011, 04:10 AM
In reference to SailQuest - Snark SN-1 (http://www.amazon.com/Snark-Clip-Chromatic-Guitar-Tuner/dp/B003VWJ2K8)

sugarinthegourd
02-20-2011, 05:08 AM
The "guitar" (blue) version of the Snark is now available in black as well.

bottlegreen
02-20-2011, 07:04 AM
I don't have a Cherub, but recently acquired a Snark. I had a Kala and I never thought I was quite "in tune." There would be a lot of flexibilty one way and the other before a change registered. The Snark is much more picky, and that's a good thing.
In looking at the pictures, I think the Cherub is more like my Kala. You really can't see if it's in tune until it's not. With the Snark, the little dial lights up quickly if you are even a hair off. It's reflected in very minute increments. I have never used a Cherub, but based on that picture alone I think the Snark would be more accurate.
Also, I still think it's small. Not as small as the Kala, but it's still little and kinda cool. It sort of reminds me of the USS Enterprise, the way the round dial hangs off the arm.

Ronnie Aloha
02-20-2011, 07:31 AM
Just received my Snark red tuners. I picked them up on ebay for about $15.00 each with free shipping. I have a bunch of Fzone Ft-800. http://www.fzonetechnology.com/product_view.asp?id=11

The Snark is slightly more accurate and more versatile with the ability to use mic tuning and the pulsing metronome. Even though I have multiple FT-800s it was worth spending the money on the Snark. I'll end up giving away my FT-800s.

PhilUSAFRet
02-20-2011, 04:37 PM
Those prices are for guitar/bass tuner SN-1. I've been led to believe they aren't quite as precise for ukes as an SN-2 (red) which is supposedly optimized for uke and you won't find them for less than around $15. What's the verdict?

sugarinthegourd
02-20-2011, 05:02 PM
No the SN-2 is not optimized for uke. It has a microphone as well as the vibration sensor plus a switch to go back and forth. The SN-1 they call the "guitar" model but it will work beautifully with any stringed instrument, including the uke.

There is nothing uke-specific about the SN-2. I would think it's more tailored to a wind instrument like the flute.

bottlegreen
02-21-2011, 02:06 AM
Well, the SN-2 (the red one) switches back and forth from vibration and mic. I don't think it's meant to be uke-specific, since is marketed as an "all-instrument" tuner.
The blue SN-1 is strictly for any stringed instrument, while SN-2 goes beyond that. You can use the vibration tuner for your uke then pass it to the guy with the clarinet, who can use the mic. I've been using it for singing. I think 2 heads are better than one, so I like having both features.
What would a uke/clarinet duet sound like? Hmmm.

bazmaz
02-21-2011, 02:47 AM
agreed - dont think that is right sugarinthegourd - the blue Snark only works on stringed instruments (or indeed something it can get a vibration on). The red is exactly the same, but adds a microphone, meaning it can work unclipped or on instruments where getting a vibration reading is difficult or impossible)

sugarinthegourd
02-21-2011, 03:11 AM
agreed - dont think that is right sugarinthegourd - the blue Snark only works on stringed instruments (or indeed something it can get a vibration on). The red is exactly the same, but adds a microphone, meaning it can work unclipped or on instruments where getting a vibration reading is difficult or impossible)

Isn't that pretty much exactly what I said? :)

bazmaz
02-21-2011, 04:21 AM
Nope - you said the red one was tailored to a wind instrument like the flute. It isnt - its tailored to all instruments, the microphone allowing that.

The microphone also allows you (as I did in a small jam with a friend the other day) set it on a table, and tune two ukuleles pretty much at the same time.

Considering the price difference between the two is next to nothing, I figured it made sense to go for the red.

lookingforcurly
02-21-2011, 09:43 AM
Have not used the Cherub, but have several (10) tuners - one in each instrument case, and one in each room. I bought a Snark when they were on sale at Elderly in November. It is my cheapest and favorite tuner because of the display and it works well on everything from a bass to a ukulele or mandolin. I bought 3 more for myself to replace more expensive and less effective tuners; and also bought them as Christmas presents for 5 friends i play music with.

ADD
02-21-2011, 11:59 AM
Well, the SN-2 (the red one) switches back and forth from vibration and mic. I don't think it's meant to be uke-specific, since is marketed as an "all-instrument" tuner.
The blue SN-1 is strictly for any stringed instrument, while SN-2 goes beyond that. You can use the vibration tuner for your uke then pass it to the guy with the clarinet, who can use the mic. I've been using it for singing. I think 2 heads are better than one, so I like having both features.
What would a uke/clarinet duet sound like? Hmmm.

A uke/clarinet duet would be beautiful. Do you play clarinet?

ksiegel
02-23-2011, 11:03 AM
The red snark also has a metronome function ... which I still can't figure out. I need an audible metronome, not a visual one.

-Kurt

PedalFreak
02-23-2011, 11:25 AM
I'd just save up and buy the Peterson StroboClip :D

Best headstock tuner I've ever used :)

France
02-23-2011, 12:20 PM
I'd just save up and buy the Peterson StroboClip :D

Best headstock tuner I've ever used :)

Just youtubed it and ....70 bucks. Whoah. Not sure if I need to be that accurate, even if it is the greatest.

bottlegreen
02-23-2011, 02:57 PM
A uke/clarinet duet would be beautiful. Do you play clarinet?

No. I do play a pretty mediocre ocarina, though. I was just wondering aloud. If you play clarinet, ADD, I'd like to hear something! :)

ADD
02-23-2011, 04:16 PM
No. I do play a pretty mediocre ocarina, though. I was just wondering aloud. If you play clarinet, ADD, I'd like to hear something! :)

Tried to figure out why this got posted on a tuner thread. Ah, the SN-2 can be used by the uke and the clarinet player. No, I don't play clarinet, but it would be my woodwind instrument of choice if I had gone to schools with a music program. Had Glee Club in high school 50 years ago - but it wasn't as dramatic or as much fun as the TV program.

FlakMonkey
02-27-2011, 04:51 AM
I think after reading what everyone's said I'm going to get a Snark.