Dolphin Vs Flea

Baseballhack

Reaction score
Want to get my Uke I can teach my kids on. I have been looking at the Flea or the dolphin. Mainly considering the flea for its durability but it is kind of expensive to teach the kids on. So my question is ho durable is the dolphin in comparison to the flea's? I know that I will end up playing whatever I buy too, when the kids aren't using it. If anyone has had the chance to play both I am interested in your thoughts. Thanks.

Want to get my Uke I can teach my kids on. I have been looking at the Flea or the dolphin. Mainly considering the flea for its durability but it is kind of expensive to teach the kids on. So my question is ho durable is the dolphin in comparison to the flea's? I know that I will end up playing whatever I buy too, when the kids aren't using it. If anyone has had the chance to play both I am interested in your thoughts. Thanks.

not a fair comparison really.

The flea is a superior instrument, perfect intonation, great action and very tough to hurt.. The Dolphon is a nice starter, if it is set up propperly it can be a good player, and you won't find better for 50 bucks.

So... If you are bying for the long run, you can't beat the flea. If you are bying to see if your kids will stay interested, go with the Dolphin, (from a dealer who does set up)

I have both, my kids have the dolphins.. and they play ocationally, so yeah, right chioce for me :). the Concert Flea is mine, love it.

JT

The Flea is a pro level instrument while the Makala Dolphin is an inexpensive starter uke, albiet a good value. I would get a Flea if it's within your budget. You will certianly enjoy playing it more than the Dolphin. As far as durability I'd bet on the Flea, but I have never really put my son's Makala Dolphin ton the test (nor has he).

- Steve

Last edited:
I suppose it depends on how old your children are, and how much wear and tear you expect. A $40 dolphin does the job without the worry of destruction, but it is only in soprano size. The Fleas start at about $179 so that is a big difference. But, you can get a concert or tenor neck for Fleas (which will increase the price a bit), and that might help if they are likely to play on the higher frets or have large hands. The dolphin might get a chip or two on it's paint job, but it should hold up well. Aquila strings will be a help on either uke (my Flea came with them on it, but the Dolphin had cheap black strings).

–Lori

The Flea is a pro level instrument while the Makala Dolphin is an inexpensive starter uke, albiet a good value. I would get a Flea if it's within your budget. You will certianly enjoy playing it more than the Dolphin. As far as durability I'd bet on the Flea, but I have never really put my son's Makala Dolphin ton the test (nor has he).

- Steve

Actually, with respect, although I enjoy my flea I reach for the dolphins more. I just love the heck out of them.

I own both - the Dolphin is my beater, the Flea is pro level (Loudon Wainwright uses one on stage).

I have an 18month old daughter and she plays with my dolphin a lot - couple of dings in the finish, but is seems pretty robust to me.

The Flea is bombproof, but I wouldnt let her touch that one!

I am curious if the flea bodies are all the same and it is just the neck that changes length? I have an Ohana sk-30L which is a soprano with tenor neck and I wonder if the flea is on the same idea?

I bought a Dolphin for my granddaughter. I thought the neck was a little too thick for me.

I am curious if the flea bodies are all the same and it is just the neck that changes length? I have an Ohana sk-30L which is a soprano with tenor neck and I wonder if the flea is on the same idea?

The Flea bodies are all the same - they only change the neck.

The Flea is surely the more premium instrument.
But it doesn't necessarily mean that the humbler Dolphin is useless or clearly inferior.

In this case, for a child starting an instrument, I think it's better to get a Dolphin as a starter uke provided it has a good setup.
An MGM setup Dolphin feels a lot like a much more expensive uke - no playability issues. It's appropriate for both beginners and experienced users.

Top Bottom