"That's Why I'm Not There Anymore"

H

Hippie Dribble

g'day gang

this is a song written by the unheralded Benny Bell, who made a great career for himself in vaudeville as a singer and songwriter, and released records from 1929 right up to the mid 80's.

The song is another in the long line of classic double entendre tunes, of which Bell himself was a master; his songs were always characterized by risque lyrics and catchy melodies.

I only learnt it this morning so it's a bit rough but I still hope you might get a good laugh out of it!!! :biglaugh:

this is the link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lc8FH1PHBHY

thanks to fitncrafty for introducing me to the song and to you for taking a look!!! :)

Aloha Eugene,
Great job....sounded really really nice. you got the right touch in your style in for playing and singing these vintage classics....How do you find them??
Thanks for sharing and "Keep um Coming"" I really enjoy watching and listening to them....Happy Strummings..MM Stan

Aloha Eugene,
Great job....sounded really really nice. you got the right touch in your style in for playing and singing these vintage classics....How do you find them??
Thanks for sharing and "Keep um Coming"" I really enjoy watching and listening to them....Happy Strummings..MM Stan

thanks heaps Stan. I'm just a music obsessive I guess and have lots and lots of old song books, CDs, records etc laying around. Dad has some old sheet music from the early part of last century too. I've also got stacks of old Pete seeger records and George Formby etc, plus I have some early printed copies of John and Alan Lomax's sheet music with stacks of long lost folk tunes. Lots of times I just hear a song and work out the chords with some basic embellishments. Nothing too complicated mate. Just a music freak, like lots of us are!!! With this song fitncrafty pointed me to it via a youtube clip. Thanks for the comment and the encouraging words Stan!! :eek:

BWAAA-HAAA - loved that. I'm going to have to learn that one at some point.

John

Retail sales can be dangerous.:eek:ld:

That's great! so much fun! When I heard that I knew it was for you! I just can't believe how fast you figured it out and recorded!! Thanks!

Thanks so much Matt, OldePhart, cletus, John and fitncrafty.

As soon as I played that song carrie Ii fell in love with it straight away!!! So funny mate, really appreciate you tipping me off about it! Last night I went on to CDBaby and ordered the 2 compilation records they have available by Benny Bell, can't wait til they arrive.

The song itself is very simple with only G, C and D & D7. The melody part came surprisingly quick...only took a few minutes, via a process of elimination and I just adapted it to suit the way I play. But again guys, I really appreciate the encouragement. :eek:

Thanks so much Matt, OldePhart, cletus, John and fitncrafty.

As soon as I played that song carrie Ii fell in love with it straight away!!! So funny mate, really appreciate you tipping me off about it! Last night I went on to CDBaby and ordered the 2 compilation records they have available by Benny Bell, can't wait til they arrive.

The song itself is very simple with only G, C and D & D7. The melody part came surprisingly quick...only took a few minutes, via a process of elimination and I just adapted it to suit the way I play. But again guys, I really appreciate the encouragement. :eek:

I am sure that you will be knocking our socks off soon then! I love that you just play from your heart and don't need to look at music, your videos look like someone just snuck up on you and you are so in the zone... blows me away... that's how I wanna be when I 'grow up' in my music playing (even though I am older than you, ha ha)

... that's how I wanna be when I 'grow up' in my music playing (even though I am older than you, ha ha)

Same for me...

:bowdown:The lad has some 'mad skilz', as the young people:eek:ld: say.

Same for me...

:bowdown:The lad has some 'mad skilz', as the young people:eek:ld: say.

Thanks again Carrie and cletus, you guys are awesome and I am very grateful you get where I'm coming from! :eek:

is that the one that starts with "I used to work in Chicago?"

yep JT, it must be I reckon...although this one starts with "I used to work in Toledo...". Why don't you have a little look-see for yourself mate? It's free! :eek:

I was at work when i asked the question :) no youtube there :)

No probs mate..only joking anyway. We've got a youtube block on our computers at work too mate, which is a real bummer late at night when things are very quiet!

Top Bottom