The Compiled Strumming Guide. (suggestions)

AhrimRaziel

Reaction score
Ok, guys. I've been digging with a shovel to find just about all I can find, and I really want to contribute to this website, and considering the fact that I'm a beginner, I'm in desperate need of some help. I've barely been playing the uke for a week, but I've figured out a small bit in the way of strumming and chunking, and I'm on my way to doing a fluid 4-finger roll, but I'm not concerned with any of that yet.
I've searched for many strumming techniques on the forums, and I did find a few, but nowhere near the amount that I know to exist.
So, enough about me, and what I need you guys for. I need every strum that can possibly be found. Variation of strums can be included. Tremellos, rolls, triplet strums, anything and everything. And when I can organize all this info and get it into a PDF format, it will be released to UkuleleUnderground, and general public, so everyone can benefit from our knowledge.
I'd also like to know if this is a good idea, and if it could in fact, be a benifit to every uke player that reads it.

Triple strum
Split strum
Pluck strum
Clawhammer
Thumb strumb
Index finger strum
Rasgeado
Tremolo
Tremolo with accents
Flick strum (Matt Dahlberg's term for it)
Up strum (ska style)
Waltz strum (Ernest Ka'ai defines all sorts of strums in his early treatises)
Rolls (4-5-8-10 finger varieties)

Err... a little help?

Last edited:
Triple strum
Split strum
Pluck strum
Clawhammer
Thumb strumb
Index finger strum
Rasgeado
Tremolo
Tremolo with accents
Flick strum (Matt Dahlberg's term for it)
Up strum (ska style)
Waltz strum (Ernest Ka'ai defines all sorts of strums in his early treatises)
Rolls (4-5-8-10 finger varieties)

Err... a little help?

Excelent, this is exactly what I'm looking for. Thanks.

One of these days, if I ever find time to really try to play again, I'm going to have to look into Ernest Ka'ai. I can offer one other suggestion:

"The Roy Smeck Ukulele & Ukulele-Banjo Method"

The earliest editions (I have one from 1928 w/o a cover) have a section at the end titled "One hundred Jazz Strokes -including Roy Smeck's brilliant novelty strokes", and that, indeed, is what he presents. Unfortunately, later editions cut out this section.

Last edited:
One of these days, if I ever find time to really try to play again, I'm going to have to look into Ernest Ka'ai. I can offer one other suggestion:

The earliest editions (I have one from 1928 w/o a cover) have a section at the end titled "One hundred Jazz Strokes -including Roy Smeck's brilliant novelty strokes", and that, indeed, is what he presents. Unfortunately, later editions cut out this section.

Do you have the end section scanned, or posted elsewhere, or is it available over the internet? It would be a priceless addition to this guide.

Your Roy Smeck strum scans are on their way. Good luck with your project!

Looking forward to having most of it available from one source. Thanks for your efforts in advance.

Southcoast: any chance you could post it to the thread? Should be out of copyright timing by now? Would be a help to all! Thanks Lozark

Southcoast: any chance you could post it to the thread? Should be out of copyright timing by now? Would be a help to all! Thanks Lozark
It's hard work, I'm trying to shell out all the time I can, and even then I only have three pages at the moment. School and afterschool things really mince my time. But yes, as soon as I have something worth posting ( maybe five pages worth) I'll figure out how to post it to this thread.
Is there any chance that you're on youtube?

Do you have the end section scanned, or posted elsewhere, or is it available over the internet? It would be a priceless addition to this guide.
The entire book is part of my collection of vintage uke music on DVD.

See here for details. 1,700 PDFs of old song sheets and song books.

The entire book is part of my collection of vintage uke music on DVD.

See here for details. 1,700 PDFs of old song sheets and song books.

This is wonderfull... but it's not what I'm looking for. I'm looking for strums styles exclusively, like chunking, clawhammering, finger picking, that kind of stuff. Though I know now who to buy music from should I ever need it. :)

This is wonderfull... but it's not what I'm looking for. I'm looking for strums styles exclusively, like chunking, clawhammering, finger picking, that kind of stuff. Though I know now who to buy music from should I ever need it. :)

The Smeck book, a beautiful full scan of the whole thing as a PDF, is in the package Ian sells. I know, I have it.

Of course you'll need to know how to read music (rhythms) to get anything out of the Smeck strums.

Top Bottom