Possible Uke Mega-Score For Oahu Kama'aina: At Young's Fish Market

ceviche

Reaction score
This is at Young's Fish Market. Look at these ukes!!!

Dave's iTouch 154.jpgDave's iTouch 153.jpgDave's iTouch 155.jpg

We're talking about two koa-wood ukes and a mango-wood to boot! The koa tenor is marked down from $700 to $350. The mango-wood tenor is down from $600 to $275. When I was eating at Young's Fish Market (between Dillingham and Kalani, and half block from Kohou--south edge of Kalihi neighborhood), back a month ago, I saw these ukes in the case. I recently bought a KoAloha tenor, so I couldn't justify so quick a purchase as these--despite the serious discounts.

All I can say is to visit under the excuse of ordering the lau-lau plate. Ask to check-out the ukes. Then decide if they're any good. I mean, they really looked beautiful to me. 2-puka is plenty fine to the eye, right?

Still, for hand-made ukes, this has to be an awesome deal. Right? We need another recon team to report back on this one.

Aloha and Mahalo!
--Dave Eriksen

Nice score.......congratu-damned-lations!!!!!!!!

These are Tangi ukes. If you do a search on the forum you should get hits on it. Most of them were made in Vietnam. Some were local.

Yep, those are Tangi's all right. He had a rough time personally last year. He was mugged and beat up pretty bad. I just bought an all Koa double hole tenor. I'll post a review in about a week.

Yup, Tangis. They're not a bad price at all for the Tangis. I've had positive experiences with his instruments, and at these prices, I'd reccomend them over an similarly-priced Kala. I think you can tell from the stamp on the inside where it was made: HI or Vietnam.

Top Bottom