Trying to make it through a "Tribute" song.

Miss Michele

Reaction score
My best friends Dad died suddenly last night. A heart attack. As you can imagine, everyone that knew and loved him is in a state of shock. No warning at all. I'm feeling so helpless right now. My heart is breaking to know the pain and sadness my friend and her family are experiencing. To try and help with my feelings I got my uke out and started playing "Somewhere Over the Rainbow/What a Wonderful World". I'm hoping to make a tribute video for the family. It may not be the best, but I feel like I need to do something besides "being there". You know what I mean?

I only got half way through it when I started bawling. I couldn't control myself so I took a break and came online. He was a great guy and friend. He loved everyone around him and welcomed them with open arms when they came to his house. I'm really going to miss him.

As for the tribute song I will try again later.

Have any of you played a "Tribute song" for someone you loss? What was the song?

Oh, and thanks for listening.

~Michele

Last edited:
"My Father's Eyes" by Clapton for my Dad when he passed 4 years ago. I couldn't do it live, so I had to record a sound clip that was put on his tribute CD.

Prayers to you for strength to do it. And prayers to your friend and his family for strength to carry on.

Last edited:
I just went through this. One of my dearest ukulele pals just passed in January.
One of his favorite songs was John Denver's "Matthew". When I was asked to play a song at the memorial service there was never a doubt in my mind what I would do. I had the same problem, I seldom made it through without breaking up. To make matters worse I asked if I could borrow his ukulele for the tribute. I had his uke there on a stand quietly listening to the entire ceremony. I was the last to sing, I picked up his ukulele introduced it to the attendees and told the story of how he and I made the road trip to buy the ukulele. I then started playing, on every verse everyone was singing, I am not sure where the courage and/or strength came from, but I made it all the way through.

My advice, practice until you are comfortable and you will find (or be given) the strength to do it at the memorial.

Good luck and my sincere sympathy for your loss.

Thoughts and prayers to your friend's family and loved ones.

I did a bunch of tribute videos for my dad after he passed from cancer in '07. Here's one:

I've been meaning to do one for my brother-in-law, but something just doesn't seem right about it.

I did one for my friend who died - wrote my own song...

I'm sorry for your loss and your friend's loss...sending prayers and hugs your way *hugs*

So sorry for your loss.

During last summer, a guy we used to perform with (me and friends on guitar, him on harmonica) died very unexpectedly. All the times we played he used to tell us how he played Uke in the Navy to entertain. He knew I played uke, and I knew he wanted to pick it up again, but such is life - we never got around to it.

Before his funeral, his son approached us and said his Dad used to talk fondly about our playing, and we talked about his love for the uke. His son asked us to bring the ukes to the reception after the funeral. A friend and I did, and felt very odd about it until the son came over and geed us up to play. We played for about 45mins, nothing too dour, but songs he would have enjoyed (including some old navy folk songs) and the attendees applauded.

As strange a performance as it was, i know full will that our pal was looking down on it with a smile on his face. We got to play uke with him eventually.

RIP Degsy!

I did not write anything for him but wanted to share this as I think playing anything for anyone (regardless of circumstances) is a very honourable tribute

I've done it before. It was an original song a friend and I wrote. I guess when it came time to perform it the "performer/professional" came out and I just did it. It sounds cold, but you have to take yourself out of the situation in order to perform something like that, that is really the only way I've found to get through things like that. Want to give and do your best for that person, so at least for me you have to remove yourself for that moment in order to get through it.

Sorry for your loss...

Top Bottom