Anyone else have this problem

JoeMcCool

Reaction score
Just bought myself a (well let's face it a fairly cheap) ukulele the other month and was down to learn some cool songs on it and thanks to UU I did, but now the only time I pick it up to learn something new is when I've been drinking, I practice whatever I've been looking at and then I wake up in the morning and have forgotten what I've learnt........damn this lifestyle of mine, must be the Aussie way haha. But at the end of the day still loving picking up the uke and giving it a shot. So I guess the point of this thread is, does nyone know any cool songs that can be learnt....while drinking and even better can be remembered after drinking......Aldrine you ukulele Yoda you, help me out haha

Sincerely

Joe McCool

I have a sneaking suspicion that the songs may not be the root problem here....

If you need some motivation and inspiration plaaying your ukulele, aside from ahem drinking....check out You Tube...ukulele video's....

Hi from Germany ;-)

Even though it is said, that we have very good beer here, I don't drink at all, so I can't really tell, if you'd remember them the next morning, but I'm a beginner too and I just learned the following songs, that seem to be fairly easy to me:

- I'm yours by Jason Mraz (classical beginner song I'd say)
- Fireflies by Owl City (very easy too)
- Hey Soulsister by Train
- The lion sleeps tonight (just three very easy cords and lots of fun to play- for this check out ukulele mike on youtube (musicteacher_2010 is the name of his channel I think)

You can also have a look here: http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/forum/showthread.php?33947-Master-List-of-C-G-Am-F-songs!

There are songs listet that use (mostly) the same chord progression of C-G-Am-F - as well as "I'm your's" does...

Maybe that might help you - and to check out the youtube channel of Ukulele Mike might also help because he explains the songs very well and you can strum along with him, what makes learning easy (I didn't dare yet to try one of Aldrine's Songs because for me they seem to be pretty difficult...but the videos are a blast !!!)

Hope I could help you - keep playing...
B_L

I just have to say - I love the potential that this thread has. Aussie! Aussie! Aussie!

i myself don't drink at all, coffee being my main drug of choice. and i drink herbal tea also.. :cool:

I second Fireflies by Owl City being easy to learn, just did it myself!

Good Luck with the...well...problem

Ha! Love this question. Sadly, like learning anything there is no substitute for a clear mind.

I gig guitars quite a bit, at which rather a lot of beer can be consumed. In fact we have played some special occasions where I am amazed I can even see the guitar neck. Thing is though, its practice when totally straight that makes it stick, not practicing whacked and then trying to remember it straight.

Ha ha. I must confess a significant portion of my playing is done within reach of a beverage. That said, I attribute all of my "learning" to the time spent without one.

Don't let this stop you from having fun!

I can vouch for the German beer being very good.:) Don't know how true it is but I heard long ago about State-dependent learning. One example, if you learn your uke while drinking you will remember what you learned when your brain is in the same state.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/State-dependent_learning

I can vouch for the German beer being very good.:) Don't know how true it is but I heard long ago about State-dependent learning. One example, if you learn your uke while drinking you will remember what you learned when your brain is in the same state.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/State-dependent_learning

State-dependant learning....hmmm...Could that be why I seem to learn Hawaiian mele quicker, my brain is always back in the state of Hawai'i while my body is stuck here in the state of Utah?

You might want to think about drinking after ukeing.
I never drink and uke, it's too dangerous.

I don't have a similar 'problem' however I do have a suggestion.

Try learning songs you already know - melody, lyrics, etc. Then learn the chords.
Get help if needed. When you're trying to learn a new song (new melody, new lyrics,
and new chords) it can be overwhelming and thus, easy to NOT remember.

If you work on those songs which are already familiar to you, well, 2/3 of the work
is already done.

Just a suggestion,

Keep uke'in',

I learned the lyrics to a Buffett song about Getting Drunk and "something" when I was "shot", perhaps you can learn the melody ....

of course, that was 30+ years ago!

Last edited:
Am getting better very fast after starting Ukulele Boot Camp

Top Bottom