Ever found a uke you loved but didn't expect to?

Chap

Reaction score
When I started playing (not too long ago), I quickly discovered that sopranos weren't for me. I liked the sound, but there just wasn't enough neck for my large hands. So it's been concert necks for me ever since.

But... :)

I picked up a beat-up soprano banjo uke on ebay, for cheap, because both "banjo" and "ukulele" were misspellex in the listing. Have since learned that it's a 1930s Maxitone. (it is missing it's identifying headplate)

Took it in to a local luthier, who filed the frets, adjusted the neck, etc. Just got it back this weekend.

I was expecting to just have this around as a bit of a wall-hanger conversation piece, but I can't keep my hands off it, despite the tiny neck!

Anyone else ever found themselves smitten with a uke that didn't fit your usual preferences?

I fell in love and instantly bonded with my Mainland concert matte mahogany, and I totally didn't expect to. I knew it would be good for the money. I knew it would be a nice little concert, but it's just lovely.

Yes, my 50's Harmony. My neighbor gave it to me a year or so ago and at first I didn't care much for it, but after putting a set of Aquila's on it and tuning up to D it's a fun little uke. Definately my favorite for old timey uke tunes. I also got a box of old banjo ukes that I'm working on restoring and I hope they are pleasant surprises too.

When I started playing (not too long ago), I quickly discovered that sopranos weren't for me. I liked the sound, but there just wasn't enough neck for my large hands. So it's been concert necks for me ever since.

But... :)

I picked up a beat-up soprano banjo uke on ebay, for cheap, because both "banjo" and "ukulele" were misspellex in the listing. Have since learned that it's a 1930s Maxitone. (it is missing it's identifying headplate)

Took it in to a local luthier, who filed the frets, adjusted the neck, etc. Just got it back this weekend.

I was expecting to just have this around as a bit of a wall-hanger conversation piece, but I can't keep my hands off it, despite the tiny neck!

Anyone else ever found themselves smitten with a uke that didn't fit your usual preferences?

Dave, who did you use to get to the work done?

I have had this experience with my soprano Favilla. I love vintage ukuleles, and I picked this one up to have a "beater" vintage uke that I wouldn't mind taking everywhere with me because I didn't want to do that with my Martin.

Well, it is such a great little uke with a full, warm tone and a neck shape that I love! I am not afraid to take it with me, but no way is it treated like a "beater". However, I don't treat any uke that way so I should have known I would clean, polish, and pamper it like all my other ukes! As far as sopranos go, this uke is tops in my book!

Top Bottom