John King's 5 string Giussani uke on eBay

Now HOW did this seller of odd "junk" (looking at the other items) end up with John King's UKE?!?

Mahalo Johnny for the heads up on this one....WOW ..
You're right I prefer this one by far.....wonder if a UUer will get it??? hmmm

Now HOW did this seller of odd "junk" (looking at the other items) end up with John King's UKE?!?

Good question. Does seem peculiar.

Usually a reputable seller will offer a provenance on something like this, like a letter from the estate, etc. I see the link to what looks like the same uke on King's website, but would the builder make only one?

Last edited:
but would the builder make only one?

I've been emailing Mr. Giussani because I'd like him to build me a uke sometime in the future. He told me that apart from John King's ukes he had only built 3 or 4 for other customers. I think the chances are rather slim that one of those is an exact copy of King's.

I know nothing about the seller, but this uke did come up for sale within the last two years on FMM, and it was sold for a lot less than $3k. I think it was closer to $1500, give or take a few $100.
Mika

I know nothing about the seller, but this uke did come up for sale within the last two years on FMM, and it was sold for a lot less than $3k. I think it was closer to $1500, give or take a few $100.
Mika

Here's what I got from the seller:

"The uke was sold on Flea Market Music web site from MR. King him self, another web site member purchased the uke.
After about 2-3 weeks later the uke went back on the block and I purchased it from him, the ad on ebay is the ad from his post on Flea Market Music web site market place and in Jumpin jims classicle ukulele masters music book there is a pic. of Mr.King holding this one of a kind ukulele/taropatch.
I have a Jumpin Jims classicle ukulele song book with his John Hancock under it with the date 2003 uke Expo, in PA.
That's all I can give you, the maker can match #s or photo's."

Its clearly not a "taropatch", which is typically seen as an 8-string instrument. Be interesting to see if this uke sells at all, though owning one of King's ukes might be onus enough for some collector/player.

from the pictures, it looks like it was tuned in a re entrant fashion. Would anyone know how this type of Uke is tuned?

Thanks,

Tom

The eBay write-up says DGCEA. I noticed that the largest diameter string is in the middle, and the string diameters decrease as you work outward. So, my guess is GDCEA. The G is one step lower than the A, and the D is one step lower than the E. I guess it's double re-entrant.

Top Bottom