Buying my first uke.

Shodiddy

Reaction score
Hi, I've been wanting to learn to play the ukulele for some time now and ive been looking up stuff online and stumbled on this awesome website. Before i bought anything, i was just wondering if anyone could give me some input before i buy anything and any suggestion on the best way to teach myself. I was thinking of getting the Luna Honu Soprano (http://folk-instruments.musiciansfriend.com/product/Luna-Guitars-Honu-Soprano-Ukulele?sku=583538) or Luna Tattoo Concert (http://folk-instruments.musiciansfr...rs-Tattoo-Concert-Mahogany-Ukulele?sku=430539). Leaning more towards the soprano, though.

Thanks for your time and all the advice.

I have a luna and I am VERY happy with it. It's the concert floral. Good luck... I think you would be happy with either one as a first ukulele!

I have a Luna Tattoo Soprano Pineapple and I LOVE her...I second the Luna as a first Ukulele!

Lunas are very good starter ukes - for equivalents, dont overlook the Makala Dolphin though - great uke (when bought properly set up) and will probably save you a few clams for strings and a tuner too!

I really like the honu as it has a great tone and is real loud if you want it to be. Its a great ukulele. I like it a lot.

Thanks for the reassurance on the luna ukes, guys! I really appreciate it! Between soprano and concert, which is easier to learn or just a better uke to start out with? Or does it not make too much of a difference?

Well I got the Honu and got it because it was reviewed on here and it sounded great on the review. The concert if it is like the Honu is probably also nice. I don't think it has the turtle on it though. Instead it has a tattoo. The concert seems to have great reviews on Musicians Friend. I got my Honu from Musicians Friend for 69 delivered. The concerts are 89. My Honu came with aquilas, a gig bag and pitch pipe. In general I think that concerts are a little easier to play myself but I still prefer the sopranos for the tone (because they sound more like what I myself think a ukulele should sound like... but thats just my thinking) I have been liking sopranos a lot. You will probably stick with the first four frets for chording for a while and then later on if you want you could buy a concert. The sopranos are just too cool and you will want a soprano. Then you can add the concert lol.

I heard a Tatoo on YOuTube, I think it sounds great! My bias is that a concert uke a better started uke for most unless you have very small hands, very young, or are moving down from a guitar and prefer a larger tenor. I almost bought the "high Tide concert for $199 with pickup recently

i bought tennessee soprano ukulele killua-model nato im still learning how to play. im not familiar what a good sounding uke is like. did i make the right choice

Thanks guys. I ended going with the soprano. Should be here Monday! Can hardly wait!

Top Bottom