On Aquila Nylgut string

I think the main difference is the length. You can use Tenor strings on a Soprano, but you might be too short the other way around when you string it up.

I think the main difference is the length. You can use Tenor strings on a Soprano, but you might be too short the other way around when you string it up.

No, not true. They are different gauges, for different instruments.

Look at http://www.aquilacorde.com/en/modern-instrument-sets/ukulele.html

You can see all the sets they make for the different ukes, and different tunings.

If you scroll down to the bottom of the page you can see the gauge and/or weight of each string in each set.

Be very careful of very "bright" ukes, especially sopranos. Aquilas will make any uke "brighter" I think. Worth clears and browns are becoming increasingly popular for folks who want a mellower sound and the soprano folks are discovering Martin Fluorocarbon strings because they are thinner and give your fingers a little more room.

Worths make my Howlett soprano sound plonky. I still say a good uke will sound good even with the wrong string match, and you can hear through the plonkiness that the uke itself isn't plonky, but it came with aquilas and I think that's the match.

I used to think that koa=aquila and mahogany=Worth, but there are so many exceptions. I waiver between aquila and worth. D'darrios aren't for me.

I've used aquila's for years and I recently ordered some Martin Fluorocarbons to try out in the soprano/concert gauge. I've been trying to fix a buzz on a koa tenor I just built and I decided to re-string the tenor with the soprano/concert Martins. They were plenty long enough. Although the buzz is still there (something internal, I've concluded), the new Martin fluoros have given it a really sparkly tone. The A-string almost sounds like a steel string which really adds definition to melody notes. I'll have to try it for a while, but for now I think it was a sucessful experiment.

Worths make my Howlett soprano sound plonky. I still say a good uke will sound good even with the wrong string match, and you can hear through the plonkiness that the uke itself isn't plonky, but it came with aquilas and I think that's the match.

I used to think that koa=aquila and mahogany=Worth, but there are so many exceptions. I waiver between aquila and worth. D'darrios aren't for me.

I've used Aquila on every Uke EXCEPT my KPK which I though could do with a different sound, I have Worth Brown's on her now and she does sound a lot mellower and I do like it :D

The other day I met someone with the same ukulele I have, a Big Island Honu koa tenor. My ukulele is strung with re-entrant Aquilas and his was strung with low G Worth Browns. Even accepting uke-to-uke differences in soung among ukes of the same model, there was a big difference in sound -- his ukulele sounded a lot mellower with much better low range sound, while mine sounded bright with a dominant treble range sound.

Top Bottom