how to play g chord

Reaction score
i have had my ukulele for a couple of days and am havine trouble switching from c to g any tips?

grasshopper, you must form chord one thousand times, then return and ask again

Aloha Ross,
Constant Repetition...here's a few P's...Practice, Persistance, Perserverence, and Passion... Good Luck and Happy Strummings...MM Stan

Hey,

I know this problem too well - thought I might smash my ukulele because I tried, and tried and tried and just couldn't get that chord change right - and then suddenly it worked perfectly - and now I change to the G-Chord without even thinking about it....

You'll get it too, just keep practicing the change over, and over and over and over (for me it helped not to bother with strumming, I just did a downstrum in moderate tempo and changed from C to G to C to G and so on....)

Keep trying - you'll get it soon !!!
B_L

On a more practical level:
I use my middle finger to form the c chord. Then I slide that finger back to second fret and let the index finger drop down on third string and the ring finger on second. Very smooth with practice.

Jens

g'day Ross, and welcome to the UU mate,

don't be too hard on yourself. Starting out anything new just requires a lot of persistence. And patience. You will get there quicker than you think, but in the meanwhile, just enjoy the process; the journey as opposed to the destination.

For me, I find the third finger must useful for playing the "C" chord. fromthere it's a gentle movement of that finger up one string, as the 1st and2nd finger come down on the 3rd and 1st string in unison. There is also something called muscle memory. After some time at it, your fingers will be hovering there ready for the change and you'll be able to execute it unconsciously.

I know it's hard and frustrating, but give yourself a chance...two days isn't long really!!!

I watched this video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pJme1gtN1SM by MusicTeacher2010. He explained why you use your ring finger to play C. I think that's largely good advice, but sometimes if I know I am transitioning from a C to a chord that uses a lot of fingers (G, or Bb) I will cheat and use my pinkie.
I bet you'll get it soon, after some practice. You can do eeet!

Yep....practice!!! Also try Uncle Rod's Boot Camp, he has some excellent exercises for switching chords. Plus...it's free!!!
Hang in there, you will get!!!

good advice above. practice and muscle memory/repetition is the key. But also practice correct fingering from the get go. It is most difficult to unlearn bad habits/fingering. Make yourself use ring finger or pinky on C and the move to G will be much easier. moves to other chords will also be easier by studying and using "correct" fingering for movement to other chords. You will find that it will also be easier to finger pick when your fingers aren't falling all over themselves trying to get to that right fret/string. Keep at it and one day you will look back and think, wow it works!! Lozark

You might want to try a two-finger chord before jumping on a three-finger. I dunno, just sayin'.

It's actually more fun than it seems.
yes.

practice, practice and more practice is the key.
good advice above. practice and muscle memory/repetition is the key. But also practice correct fingering from the get go. It is most difficult to unlearn bad habits/fingering... Keep at it and one day you will look back and think, wow it works!!
excellent advice.

The one significant rule for learning music:
Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. And have a glass of wine after.

Nothing beats it.

The one significant rule for learning music:
Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. And have a glass of wine after.

Nothing beats it.

Thats how I do it.

Yep. And it won't seem any easier until one day when you just realize you've been doing it.

So true. By the way, - cool site you are linking to.

Yep....practice!!! Also try Uncle Rod's Boot Camp, he has some excellent exercises for switching chords. Plus...it's free!!!
Hang in there, you will get!!!

:agree: I came here just to say that!

I'm new to the uke too! I was having similar trouble transitioning from D to G and vice versa. I found that using my index finger to barre the first three strings at the second fret and letting my middle finger take care of string 2 at fret 3 made the most sense for D-G. To my surprise, it made a few more transitions easier, most notably Bs and Es.

Top Bottom