Multi-Track recording on a PC ...

jcder

Reaction score
Hi,

I want to record multi-tracks using a PC I have microphones, amplifiers, little digital recording gadget (Zoom) but I would like to bring, say 4-6 tracks together... any idea how to start off?

I'v seen it done before, wasn't to interested at the time though so it must be possible. What do I need to be able to start doing this, starting off easy...

Many of us like and use the free program Audacity. Works in Windows Mac and Linux.

You don't say which Zoom gadget you have, but I have the Zoom H4, which will allow you to do 4 track recording and editing all by itself. I don't use it for that, because Audacity is just easier to use.

The basic idea behind the way I use Audacity is to record the first track (usually along with my video camera going). It could be a bass line, just chord strumming, or even strumming and singing. Then using headphones to listen while the first track plays, I record the second track which is laid down in synch with the first track by Audacity. You can do this as many times as you wish, up to the limit of the number of tracks Audacity allows. Audacity will also allow you to move the tracks around in time to synch things up, cut out parts, change the volume on various parts, and even to use effects, such as reverb and distortion.

Last edited:
Just know that with USB devices you can have lag when over dub (Recird another track while listening to the others) and you will have to line up the tracks so they sound right. it is easy, just drad it over. Just a tip since you may have not used it before.
I love Audacty also

It depends how serious you want to get, if you want to go down the route of a home studio that can be done fairly inexpensively. Firstly you need a decent audio interface(sound card), an external one is your best bet in my opinion. Secondly you need a decent Music Production Software package. There are a number around, Ableton live/Cubase/Logic Studio are just a few. I'd go on some of the home recording/studio forums, the one on harmony central is ok for pointers on how to start.

Nevertheless, if you are doing it for a bit of fun audacity is a free and fun wee package which many will recommend.

feel free to contact me for any advice.

Top Bottom