Where to get a kamaka in the UK?

ItsMrPitchy

Reaction score
Ive looked around a bit and never found a shop in the UK to sell kamakas. At some point in the near future i would like to purchase one and would like to try out the uke before i buy it.

Ive looked around a bit and never found a shop in the UK to sell kamakas. At some point in the near future i would like to purchase one and would like to try out the uke before i buy it.

You probably only have two options: buy second hand or buy a teleport machine.

I don't know of a single store that stocks them. There are obviously good reasons why they don't. You can get several of the other K brands though.

My best suggestion would be to phone a US store and ask them to send you photos before you buy. However, many of the better US stores don't stock them either.

If you found one in Europe, you could buy it and send it back if you didn't like it. You lose postage both ways, but wouldn't have to pay VAT. You would have to pay 20% VAT if you sent it back to a US store unless yoiu claimed it back (risky).

Final suggestion: buy from Kamaka.

Well i dont have a teleport machine so i will most likely look out for a second hand kamaka. Thanks for replying.

Same problem in Germany. There is no Kamaka retailer in Europe :( I ordered my HF-1 from puapua and I'm very happy with it. It's risky to order an ukulele you couldn't try before, but I trusted in the Kamaka quality. When I ransomed it from the customs I was just overwhelmed by its beauty. The sound is perfect, too. Just a slight buzz on the e-string if I play louder. But I think it won't be hard to fix. If you have several copies of a model in a store you can choose the best and avoid these problems.

Now I only play the Kamaka and have started selling the rest of my collection. You can order Koalohas from France and avoid the 20% VAT, but if you want a Kamaka you will have to take the risk. I recommend it.

Ken: Normally you can't just order from Kamaka directly. But sometimes they have special orders that have not been sold in the end. They are sold at the factory directly, but are usually gone within a few days. Best way to know about special orders is to add Sam/Fred Kamaka at facebook, they have a photo album with the available ukuleles. But my guess is they are far more expensive than the regular models.

Same problem in Germany. There is no Kamaka retailer in Europe :( I ordered my HF-1 from puapua and I'm very happy with it. It's risky to order an ukulele you couldn't try before, but I trusted in the Kamaka quality. When I ransomed it from the customs I was just overwhelmed by its beauty. The sound is perfect, too. Just a slight buzz on the e-string if I play louder. But I think it won't be hard to fix. If you have several copies of a model in a store you can choose the best and avoid these problems.

Now I only play the Kamaka and have started selling the rest of my collection. You can order Koalohas from France and avoid the 20% VAT, but if you want a Kamaka you will have to take the risk. I recommend it.

Ken: Normally you can't just order from Kamaka directly. But sometimes they have special orders that have not been sold in the end. They are sold at the factory directly, but are usually gone within a few days. Best way to know about special orders is to add Sam/Fred Kamaka at facebook, they have a photo album with the available ukuleles. But my guess is they are far more expensive than the regular models.

R & F Charle in Paris occasionally stock a Kamaka.

I'm afraid I don't really share your enthusiasm for this particular brand, Michael.

I'm afraid I don't really share your enthusiasm for this particular brand, Michael.

No problem, I see you're more into Kanilea. I didn't have the chance to play one yet, but they are great for sure.

Top Bottom