Guitar -> Uke tab converter

Reaction score
Given my mediocre ukulele skills (I appreciate the extremely positive comments on my flobots youtube video by the way) I figure I can contribute to the ukulele community in a different way.

http://www.twelvefrets.com/tab.php

I wrote a php script that takes a guitar tab and unintelligently tries to fit it on uke by transposing. Clearly if the range of the notes is more than can fit then it can't do it, and the converting of chords can be a little iffy in terms of dropping notes that it wouldn't need to if you transposed differently.

It works on a per-character basis so you need to use 'T' instead of '10','E' for '11' and so on (it interprets 10 as first fret followed by open string). It also often doesn't come up with optimal fingering, but thats splitting hairs I think.

You can use http://www.twelvefrets.com/flobots-in.txt for an example of how the input should be formatted.

It's a little rough in a few ways, its the time I've used php and I'm not that up on website design. If anyone is interested I'll post the source on the site also.

Criticism welcome...

Pretty cool. I played with it a bit. I just wish it would pick up letters and just throw them into the final product too. like "h" and "p" for hammer on and pull off, / or s for slide, and b for bend, etc. Some riffs sound perfect transferred to uke, but I guess it's the nature of the instruments.

Overall, great work. Now, if you could somehow get it to make chords from tabbed guitar chords (as a database programmer myself, I can see how that'd be pretty much impossible) then it'd be the most epic tool ever. :)

Uh oh. I tried visiting it again b/c I wanted to try converting another song...and this happened...

Parse error: syntax error, unexpected $end in /www/110mb.com/u/k/e/t/r/a/n/s/uketranspose/htdocs/tab.php on line 292

It wasn't me! :)

I have no idea what happened, I deleted and uploaded the file and it works again. Thanks for telling me it might have been a while before I noticed at all!

I'd be interested in exactly what you meant by the chord part. Just identifying the chords that are in the guitar tab and outputting the same chords by name? In general I've found that just taking chords directly from chordie doesn't really work out that well but I've see that other people use it as a starting point at the least.

I've also noticed a bug for certain converting some chords that I'll try to fix

Last edited:
I know this is a MAJOR bump, but just wondering if there is anything similar to this anywhere on the net? I have tried searching but been unsucsessful. The link above appears to be broken :(

Top Bottom