Just bought a new uke, you won't beleive why!

mandrew

Reaction score
I just ordered a new Kala KA-S for musicguymic. Now for the incredible story of why I needed to buy one. . . .

Years ago my family gave me an old soprano uke in a nice case. I wasn't interrested in it at the time, and I needed money. So, I took it to a local guitar shop to see if they would buy it. This was about 15 years ago, and ukes were not very popular at the time. He hesitated to buy it, not being sure if he could move it. Mind now, I didn't know anything about ukes or makers. I sold it to the guy for $50, and I needed the money. Since I recently became interrested in ukes gain, I did some research into what that uke was. I cant believe it!!!! I sold a vintage solid mahogany Martin ukulele for $50!!!

My new one won't be a Martin, but ti will get me buy for a while.

ouch.. That kinda irritate me, because even 15 years ago, and the poplarity of ukes being low then, that guitar shop HAD to know what a Martin anything was, and that it had some impressive value. Im sure he knew then he was taking you to the cleaners.. But, ya can't thrive on that. Your back in the saddle, and welcome..

I agree with the above post ^ if it was a guitar shop, he knew the brand. He could tell it was quality. Seems like they do that a lot at guitar shops and pawn shops... "Wellll I don't really know if I can selllll it and it miiiight not be worth much annnd... I'll give ya 50 bucks for it." makes me angry :mad:

I agree with the above post ^ if it was a guitar shop, he knew the brand. He could tell it was quality. Seems like they do that a lot at guitar shops and pawn shops... "Wellll I don't really know if I can selllll it and it miiiight not be worth much annnd... I'll give ya 50 bucks for it." makes me angry :mad:

that is why shows like Pawn Stars piss me off.

that is why shows like Pawn Stars piss me off.

I like pawn stars cuz I see a lot of cool stuff. There was a vintage Martin banjolele on there one time! He got it for a couple hundred bucks if I remember right. But yeah, they rip people off with all the "its gonna take me forever to sell it" junk. Please. Make a couple calls, somebody will want it.

Now I like pawn stars, because sure, they want good deals and low risk, BUT they are always very honest with the seller. I have seen shows where a seller comes in a wants a few hundred bucks for something, and Rick (the bald guy) told them that he would LOVE to give them that for it, but can't with clear consious, because it is worth thousands.. I have seen several shows like that. Even has experts come in, in front of the seller so they both know what something is worth before they start the bartering. They are always upfront and say that it's worth this much, but I will give ya this much for it so I can make a profit.. Ya can't get mad at that..

What irritates me, is that guitar shop probable made it sound as though HE was taking a risk in buying it and doing HIM the favor by giving $50 for it all along knowing or at least having an idea even at that time it was worth in the 4 digits. yeah, THAT kind of buisness pisses me off..

I like pawn stars cuz I see a lot of cool stuff. There was a vintage Martin banjolele on there one time! He got it for a couple hundred bucks if I remember right. But yeah, they rip people off with all the "its gonna take me forever to sell it" junk. Please. Make a couple calls, somebody will want it.

it was a Gibson, and he took it to his gutiar guy who put FN steel strings on it and a cut dowm banjo bridge.. what a waste.

Now I like pawn stars, because sure, they want good deals and low risk, BUT they are always very honest with the seller. I have seen shows where a seller comes in a wants a few hundred bucks for something, and Rick (the bald guy) told them that he would LOVE to give them that for it, but can't with clear consious, because it is worth thousands.. I have seen several shows like that. Even has experts come in, in front of the seller so they both know what something is worth before they start the bartering. They are always upfront and say that it's worth this much, but I will give ya this much for it so I can make a profit.. Ya can't get mad at that..

What irritates me, is that guitar shop probable made it sound as though HE was taking a risk in buying it and doing HIM the favor by giving $50 for it all along knowing or at least having an idea even at that time it was worth in the 4 digits. yeah, THAT kind of buisness pisses me off..

Not mad at them, I know it's a business, but I love when the people say No and walk out. :)

Oh I agree there is some grins in that. Kinda a victory for us poor folk, hahhah... What bugs me is people that come in with their Father's or Grandfather's WWII or other military service items to sell. Maybe it's because I am a romantic, and sentimental about stuff like that, but there is no money that could ever buy My father's war service items.. They just cant print that kind of money..

it was a Gibson, and he took it to his gutiar guy who put FN steel strings on it and a cut dowm banjo bridge.. what a waste.

Ah, Gibson, my B ^.^ and yeah, that guitar guy was... yeah. He definitely could have taken it to someone better.

I like Pawn Stars...compared to that Pickers..show...the short puggy guy Frank is so irratating...and rips everyone off...and he enjoys it too....such a....
As for that shop that took advantage of you.....I'd go and visit them again....and let them know...he he

I like Pawn Stars...compared to that Pickers..show...the short puggy guy Frank is so irratating...and rips everyone off...and he enjoys it too....such a....
As for that shop that took advantage of you.....I'd go and visit them again....and let them know...he he

The pickers came to Bristol, about 20 minutes from me. I talked to a guy who met them, and he said the #1 thing to remember is never trust anything they say. They play them off as personable, but they'll say anything to get your stuff. (on a positive note, did you see the episode where they got more then they thought for some circus banners and went back to split the profit with the man they bought them from? maybe just a show thing, but still cool.)

The pickers came to Bristol, about 20 minutes from me. I talked to a guy who met them, and he said the #1 thing to remember is never trust anything they say. They play them off as personable, but they'll say anything to get your stuff. (on a positive note, did you see the episode where they got more then they thought for some circus banners and went back to split the profit with the man they bought them from? maybe just a show thing, but still cool.)

I missed that one...shucks The thing with these shows, after they make the deal and
rip you off ...they shake your hands, like yeah, thanks sucker..
The old sandwich technique.....talk nice, rip off , and finish talk nice....

Last edited:

Pickers is different,, they buy stuff these old guys would just let sit there and rust away... so them getting 40 bucks or nothing, for just being home. no problems with The Pickers.

The story reminded me of when a family member gave me a fiddle. I took it in for repair and the guy told me it wasn't worth fixing but he would give me $500 for it. Ha!

Wait a minute, you meant there's a TV show about pawn shops, now???? I so don't miss cable....

John

yeah, they ran out of show material a long time ago phart. They even have a couple different ones with guys that go to auctions selling off unpaid stowage lockers.. lol..

I remember going into Gryphon in Palo Alto many years ago with a little tiny case under my arm, and them offering me fair market value for it (about $700 if I remember- Martin type 3M 1940's). Thank god they did, as it sat on a shelf for 18 years (until I was ready to play it). In any event, I was a punk rock kid with a Martin under my arm, looking to trade it on something else, and they were good to me...and will get my business whenever. They could have easily taken it.

Wait a minute, you meant there's a TV show about pawn shops, now???? I so don't miss cable....

John

There is another show about the people who bid on the contents of abandoned storage lockers. I wonder if they will discover the long forgotten trove of vintage ukes somewhere.

Top Bottom