anuenue's 1879 replica

haolejohn

Reaction score
OK. TOnight at SEUkers JavaJam, I got to play an anuenue 1879 ukulele replica. All I can say is wow. This ukulele is an all koa model. The back is carved koa with a bow. It comes with peghead tuners and the sound was superb. The ukulele was a little bit pricey for my pathetic teacher's salary but man did i want it.
I took some pictures but I can not figure out how to post them here since FB changed their photo format. Here is a video of the exact uke I got to play:

Very nice. What is the price on one of those little beauties?

Elderly has it at $730

Beauty! Me want.

Very nice. What is the price on one of those little beauties?

$700ish. It was more than $700 but I don't remember an exact price. the uke was very well made and very light. It was lighter than my koaloha concert. THe coolest thing about it was the carved back and top.

Thanks for the video, I have wanted to see and hear more of these! They look a lot like the early uke I have in my avatar, which is from the early days of uke. I would love to have one of these new ones!

Thanks for the video, I have wanted to see and hear more of these! They look a lot like the early uke I have in my avatar, which is from the early days of uke. I would love to have one of these new ones!

That is what it is, a replica of the early ukuleles. I was simply amazed. Price was steep, and if I had the money, I'd snatch one up.

Wow, I absolutely love the looks of this uke! :drool:
Does anyone know where they are made?
:eek: OTOH I could get a new Koaloha for $200+ less, so this anueNue may be a crazy purchase... even more so if it is an import.

Wow, I absolutely love the looks of this uke! :drool:
Does anyone know where they are made?
:eek: OTOH I could get a new Koaloha for $200+ less, so this anueNue may be a crazy purchase... even more so if it is an import.

aNueNue are built in Asia, though I'm not sure if it's Taiwan or Japan.

For what it's worth, the quality and build of their ukes seems to be very high - definitely on par with Big Island. They also play very well, and are quite visually appealing. I've got their solid koa tenor, and it's an absolute delight.

The only downside I can see is they price their ukes at the top-shelf level, which is a bit high. Part of that cost may be import tariff, or it could just be them playing the game of pricing along the K's so they'll be automatically considered among them. Whatever, if they dropped their price by about $100 or $150 they'd be no-brainers.

And, for as good as my aNueNue is (and it is fantastic), it honestly doesn't fare well against the Kanile'a. There is just more win in the Kanile'a that you can tell from the very first touch.

Greetings, I've owned one of these ukes for six months and it is a special instrument. I can't remember which early uke it is modeled after either Nunes or Dias IIRC. The uke not only is beautiful to behold with spectacular craftsmanship, book matched koa and an arched back, it outplays my KoAloha Pikake and my Kamaka white label. It combines great intonation, sustain and resonance with surprising volume. At this level of uke though, what matters most are your personal preferences but I think that quality-wise it is the equivilent of any of the K-brand ukes. The neck is a little narrow at the top for my short fat fingers for chords like D or Cm but that's the only problem I've had with it. It sings with Orcas strings but I'm sure it would sound great with most quality flourocarbon strings like Fremonts or Worths. The 1879 also is extremely portable and is my current travel uke. Mickey did a review of this uke in Uke Player magazine maybe volume 19 or 20. BTW, Georgia has a ridiculous inventory tax calculated on inventory present on Dec. 31 so maybe some of you southerners can visit Mike at Uke Republic and get a great deal before that date <g>. cheers, g2

In case you're wondering about posting pictures from FB, you can right click and hit "Copy image URL", then just ctrl+v the link. From there it's just like putting pictures up from an image hosting site like TinyPic.

Top Bottom