PDA

View Full Version : Uke on Glee!

pdxuke
02-15-2011, 06:38 PM
Tonight on Fox, GLEE! had the main character playing a uke. Anybody see it and know what brand?

andreavmusic
02-15-2011, 06:50 PM
I believe it was a Lanikai Spalted Mango concert if I remember the size correctly!

pdxuke
02-15-2011, 06:52 PM
I believe it was a Lanikai Spalted Mango concert if I remember the size correctly!

I THOUGHT it was Lanikai--just couldn't make the wood. Thatnks, Andrea!

BTW, my daughter is an NYU CAP 21 (MT school) grad. You should go to their summer musical theatre program. You'd have a blast!

collin415
02-15-2011, 07:23 PM
I saw it, too, and was wondering the same thing!

Ukulele JJ
02-16-2011, 02:05 AM
It was nice seeing a uke again on Glee.

But what was really refreshing was that the entire scene seemed to be recorded right there in the room. No autotune. No multitracking. The actor was really just strumming the uke and singing with the kids "for real", live and unplugged. You don't see that too often on that show.

J

NatalieS
02-16-2011, 02:32 AM

Yep, that's what it was! They used that same uke in their concert tour last summer.

Anyways, I thought it was a cute scene. :)

Leodhas
02-16-2011, 03:21 AM
Glee is ok except for all the singing and dancing and no I didn't see the uke as I don't watch glee due to being male, over the age of ten and straight.

rasputinsghost
02-16-2011, 03:25 AM
Glee is ok except for all the singing and dancing and no I didn't see the uke as I don't watch glee due to being male, over the age of ten and straight.

I'm not sure how liking a show is somehow indicative of your sexual orientation, but hey, thanks for telling us your feelings!

GreatGazukes
02-16-2011, 03:27 AM
And I dont watch glee and I'm male and over the age of ten and not straight, so that makes us buddies, eh?

dave g
02-16-2011, 03:41 AM
I'm over 10, male, straight, and I watch Glee (for what it's worth...) :)

Did you notice that when they were walking down the hall arguing about whether or not to go in there was no ukulele case to be seen, but it magically appeared when they got in the room?

NatalieS
02-16-2011, 03:45 AM

Wow I know tons of straight guys who watch Glee. I really don't think watching Glee indicates whether you're gay or not...

wickedwahine11
02-16-2011, 04:42 AM
As a Kamaka fangirl, I was bummed when it wasn't the Kamaka that he pulled out of the case. He had the same tweed case but a Kamaka inside last season when they did "Somewhere Over the Rainbow."

http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/forum/showthread.php?31426-Kamaka-uke-played-on-next-week-s-Glee&highlight=Glee

Kem
02-16-2011, 05:33 AM
I have the tenor version of that ukulele, so I'm moderately pleased, though otherwise, Glee does make my teeth ache with impotent hatred. (Yes, I do watch it. I realise this makes me a hypocrite. For some reason, I just can't look away, even though I spend every episode yelling at the screen.)

However, now that I think of it, I'm not entirely convinced that that's the Lanikai. The headstock is too dark. Ah well.

NatalieS
02-16-2011, 05:47 AM
though otherwise, Glee does make my teeth ache with impotent hatred. (Yes, I do watch it. I realise this makes me a hypocrite. For some reason, I just can't look away, even though I spend every episode yelling at the screen.)

Oh I hear ya. Sometimes I yell at Rachel because she really annoys me to no end. If I'd known a girl like her in my choir in high school, I would have despised her, haha.

I also don't like all the autotuning they use. It really sounds fake especially when they're clearly in the practice room with a piano but it suddenly and miraculously turns into a full orchestra. Ah well.

kendra
02-16-2011, 05:54 AM
However, now that I think of it, I'm not entirely convinced that that's the Lanikai. The headstock is too dark. Ah well.

I have the exact same spalted mango Lanikai that he was playing. It was definitely the Lanikai. (Not to mention it was my husband who is male and over the age of 10 who noticed - he yelled out, "Hey - that's YOUR uke!)

We've seen Matthew Morrison (the lead guy) play uke before on the series. I've read that apparently when he was auditioning for the show, he played ukulele and that was one of the stand out things that got him the part.

Kem
02-16-2011, 06:02 AM
Well, I thought it looked almost exactly like the Lanikai, except that the headstock seemed to be black (mine is spalted mango, and those of the concerts I've been able to find online ALSO seem to be spalted mango). Maybe I just couldn't see it properly because I was viewing the episode online in a tiny little window.

pat rock
02-16-2011, 07:14 AM
What song did they sing with the ukulele?

@wickedwahine11 - Did you see in that article about the Bill Cosby Kamaka, they mention that Matthew Morrison recently bought himself one - Glee UAS?

luke'nlele
02-16-2011, 07:16 AM
Just spotted this on Ebay
http://cgi.ebay.com/GLEE-UKULELE-/180622680082?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2a0df36012

NatalieS
02-16-2011, 07:57 AM

"This little light of mine, I'm gonna let it shine"

Mr. Schuster took the uke (and Sue) with him to the children's cancer ward at the hospital. The cutest part was, when he walked in the door he said "I brought my little buddy with me!" and held up the uke case and the kids cheered.

mds725
02-16-2011, 08:42 AM
I was watching NCIS instead and, alas, there was no ukulele on that program. I may write to the producers.

andreavmusic
02-16-2011, 08:54 AM
http://www.drumza.com/images/LanikaiSMCEConcertUkulele.jpg

yeah some have a different wood for the headstock, but I think this is the one he had last episode.

here's another pic of him playing it

http://cdn02.cdnwp.celebuzz.com/wp-content/uploads/legacy/celebuzz/default/large-msg-128940410354-3.jpg

Leodhas
02-16-2011, 10:18 AM
And I dont watch glee and I'm male and over the age of ten and not straight, so that makes us buddies, eh?

Aye I'll be your pal, no problem. My comments were in no way to be construed as homophobic. Glee however is a tv show I do find to be particularly awful and have noted that my ten year old niece and friend mick and his partner are the only people I know who appear to enjoy the programme.

I was in a bad mood and would not normally comment on this thread but what really grates me about glee is how it is seriously being sported as an inspiration to young people, especially those who may be different from the norm, which is utter dross as life is not a jazz hands pearly teeth non-stop wank fest at that age. Glee at it's best is an ironic bit of fun and should be taken as such.

I don't even know why i'm responding to this thread again but in my defence I have a very, very bad cold and I'm feeling exceptionally grumpy and I f*****g hate glee !

Sorry to all glee lovers, love and peace blah blah blah !

Plainsong
02-16-2011, 10:56 AM
I was in a nonzero number of choirs and glee clubs and I hate Glee with seething burning passion too. The only thing that's worse is Choir Wars. Do you have to sit through that in the US? They make a mockery of what a choir can actually do...

But anyway, the one redeeming thing on Glee is Jane Lynch, but she'll always be a New Main Street Singer to me. And she needs no auto-tune, just John Michael Higgins. :D

I suppose it's good for uke though. If kids see it, then they want one, and they try it, and are hooked. That can't be bad, can it?

joeybug
02-16-2011, 11:01 AM
I was watching NCIS instead and, alas, there was no ukulele on that program. I may write to the producers.

I was watching NCIS just now...probably the same epi coz I downloaded it...I prefer it to Glee, maybe we can get Tony to play some Ukulele to get a date with a beautiful woman!

GreatGazukes
02-16-2011, 11:16 AM
Aye I'll be your pal, no problem. My comments were in no way to be construed as homophobic. Glee however is a tv show I do find to be particularly awful and have noted that my ten year old niece and friend mick and his partner are the only people I know who appear to enjoy the programme.

No sweat mate, just giving you a bit of stick for a poorly worded post, lol.

Most of the Glee characters give me the heebie jeebies, but I do enjoy some of their interpretations of some classic songs. Kudos to the program for presenting music that would otherwise go under the radar for a lot of younger folk. But frankly it has too much sachrine for my jaded palate.

wickedwahine11
02-16-2011, 11:26 AM

@wickedwahine11 - Did you see in that article about the Bill Cosby Kamaka, they mention that Matthew Morrison recently bought himself one - Glee UAS?

I did see that, yep.

As for liking Glee, I am ashamed to admit it is a guilty pleasure of mine (though I really hated last night's episode and every song rendition in it). Still, I adore Brittany. :)

NatalieS
02-16-2011, 11:30 AM
But anyway, the one redeeming thing on Glee is Jane Lynch, but she'll always be a New Main Street Singer to me. And she needs no auto-tune, just John Michael Higgins. :D

I LOVE Jane Lynch! (and John Michael Higgins for that matter) I am a huge "Mighty Wind" fan and I will always laugh my head off at her uke joke in that movie. And yes, Jane is an awesome singer and pretty much the only reason I tune in to Glee.

Plainsong
02-16-2011, 01:27 PM
Has Higgins been on Glee? He's into choral arrangements and writing harmonies and all that, so he'd be a natural fit. "I was abused as a child, but the abuse was mostly musical in nature." :D

My husband and I still use "Wha happen?" and "I don't think so!" - because Fred Willard pwns. :)

Kem
02-16-2011, 01:58 PM
http://www.drumza.com/images/LanikaiSMCEConcertUkulele.jpg

yeah some have a different wood for the headstock, but I think this is the one he had last episode.

here's another pic of him playing it

http://cdn02.cdnwp.celebuzz.com/wp-content/uploads/legacy/celebuzz/default/large-msg-128940410354-3.jpg

Huh...who knew? I didn't mean to be nitpicky; I just noticed how different the headstock looked. I actually quite like the looks of the darker one, though the spalted one is pretty too.

andreavmusic
02-16-2011, 02:16 PM
Huh...who knew? I didn't mean to be nitpicky; I just noticed how different the headstock looked. I actually quite like the looks of the darker one, though the spalted one is pretty too.

not a problem =] when I was google-ing pictures I thought the same thing too

Leodhas
02-17-2011, 03:00 AM
No sweat mate, just giving you a bit of stick for a poorly worded post, lol.

Most of the Glee characters give me the heebie jeebies, but I do enjoy some of their interpretations of some classic songs. Kudos to the program for presenting music that would otherwise go under the radar for a lot of younger folk. But frankly it has too much sachrine for my jaded palate.

I can understand how my initial outburst on this post could be taken the wrong way, so that's my fault and all is cool. However I'm glad to see there are some other Glee haters out there. I'm sorry but even the word annoys me 'glee'! Who walks around this world filled with f*****g 'glee'? Bastards, one and all, that's who!

Once again please forgive the bitterness but this is my 2nd day laid up with flu and I'm near delirious and in a really bad mood and wouldn't normally vent spleen in such fashion. Nevertheless, I feel I've earned the right via some notion of karma due to being so ill and on that point why do all lassies make fun of men being ill ? I'm really ill ! At first I thought it was a virus or just a bad cold but now I'm sure that I have the flu. However my girlfriend came round to visit me last night (I really wanted her to make my supper as I was feeling unwell but she didn't which is another sore point) and she simply made fun of me for a couple of hours before leaving stating that, she didn't want to catch whatever I had! In her defence, she had done some food shopping for me due to my afore mentioned near death state.

Nevertheless, this all brings me back to glee and I feel I have already explained why I hate it and why all associated with it should be shot at dawn, except Jane lynch and the other lassies, the ones in the American cheerleading outfits, they can be saved.

Glee is not the only TV show I despise with a passion. There are a number of shows we get here in Scotland which are utter pish and partially responsible for the dumbing down of society. Lets start with a show we get called 'Shameless'. The first series of this was an excellent example of television at it's best, being a well scripted, dark comedic caricature of working class life in a North West of England industrial city (Manchester). However the following seasons (as you would say in the states) have been a disgusting, demeaning and patronising portrayal of said life. Obviously with the success of the first series the cash signs started to sprout and the original format was left behind for hashed writing.

My second TV hate is a show called 'Skins'. This show is marketed at late teens verging on adulthood and if this is the best they can offer up you may as well cull them all now! All great TV shows, even some of the worst have soul, some depth, this is completely devoid of any.

My final vent of the day is directed at the worst TV show of all time, even the terrible actors, who are clearly vacant dunder headed numpties do not redeem this show. To those of you in the states who will never of seen it, Imagine if you transported 'Days of our Lives' to an historic english market town and extracted any worth while camp comedic dimension. If you do that you end up with something called 'Hollyoaks' . There are not enough Scottish swear words to describe how pash this show truly is. Can I just mention that all the shows I've attacked here are brought to our screens in Scotland by a station called channel four, however they are not the only culprit for bad TV in Scotland as the bbc are getting just as bad. Never trust any historical programme relating to Scotland that has been made by the bbc as it has an agenda and is full of half truths at propaganda. That's my final add on!

And breath ! I actually feel better for that, I only wish bad language could be used here because every other word would be.

Once more, love and peace and I'm not usually this grumpy but I'm really enjoying lay here in bed moaning via the laptop, very therapeutic and lets be honest no ones really going to take the time to read this, after all I'm just a fevered up Scotsman who is ranting away at himself. I can't wait until I'm old and mad and get to do it for real! When I'm old I'm just going to sit on park benches in town screaming and moaning on about the ' bloody english' . Sorry, I'm clearly high with fever and going now.

pdxuke
02-18-2011, 10:06 AM
Leodhas:

Hope you're feeling better!

As someone who made his living writing & producing American TV for many years, I have seen my share (and probably written my share) of bad TV! :D

But here's reality: it doesn't matter a lick what you or I think about GLEE; about the fact that you hate it and I love it. What matters is that the correct number of viewers and the right demographics are loving it--and big. That will assure that it will be around for many years for me to love and you to hate!

It also doesn't really matter whether the show is an inspiration to teens or not. I think most teens are pretty media savvy, and they have a sense of the absurd, and they know when they're being sold to. But millions like the show anyway, because--well, because it's cool.:cool:

Pax!

TB

I can understand how my initial outburst on this post could be taken the wrong way, so that's my fault and all is cool. However I'm glad to see there are some other Glee haters out there. I'm sorry but even the word annoys me 'glee'! Who walks around this world filled with f*****g 'glee'? Bastards, one and all, that's who!

Once again please forgive the bitterness but this is my 2nd day laid up with flu and I'm near delirious and in a really bad mood and wouldn't normally vent spleen in such fashion. Nevertheless, I feel I've earned the right via some notion of karma due to being so ill and on that point why do all lassies make fun of men being ill ? I'm really ill ! At first I thought it was a virus or just a bad cold but now I'm sure that I have the flu. However my girlfriend came round to visit me last night (I really wanted her to make my supper as I was feeling unwell but she didn't which is another sore point) and she simply made fun of me for a couple of hours before leaving stating that, she didn't want to catch whatever I had! In her defence, she had done some food shopping for me due to my afore mentioned near death state.

Nevertheless, this all brings me back to glee and I feel I have already explained why I hate it and why all associated with it should be shot at dawn, except Jane lynch and the other lassies, the ones in the American cheerleading outfits, they can be saved.

Glee is not the only TV show I despise with a passion. There are a number of shows we get here in Scotland which are utter pish and partially responsible for the dumbing down of society. Lets start with a show we get called 'Shameless'. The first series of this was an excellent example of television at it's best, being a well scripted, dark comedic caricature of working class life in a North West of England industrial city (Manchester). However the following seasons (as you would say in the states) have been a disgusting, demeaning and patronising portray of said life. Obviously with the success of the first series the cash signs started to sprout and the original format was left behind for hashed writing.

My second TV hate is a show called 'Skins'. This show is marketed at late teens verging on adulthood and if this is the best they can offer up you may as well cull them all now! All great TV shows, even some of the worst have soul, some depth, this is completely devoid of any.

My final vent of the day is directed at the worst TV show of all time, even the terrible actors, who are clearly vacant dunder headed numpties do not redeem this show. To those of you in the states who will never of seen it, Imagine if you transported 'Days of our Lives' to an historic english market town and extracted any worth while camp comedic dimension. If you do that you end up with something called 'Hollyoaks' . There are not enough Scottish swear words to describe how pash this show truly is. Can I just mention that all the shows I've attacked here are brought to our screens in Scotland by a station called channel four, however they are not the only culprit for bad TV in Scotland as the bbc are getting just as bad. Never trust any historical programme relating to Scotland that has been made by the bbc as it has an agenda and is full of half truths at propaganda. That's my final add on!

And breath ! I actually feel better for that, I only wish bad language could be used here because every other word would be.

Once more, love and peace and I'm not usually this grumpy but I'm really enjoying lay here in bed moaning via the laptop, very therapeutic and lets be honest no ones really going to take the time to read this, after all I'm just a fevered up Scotsman who is ranting away at himself. I can't wait until I'm old and mad and get to do it for real! When I'm old I'm just going to sit on park benches in town screaming and moaning on about the ' bloody english' . Sorry, I'm clearly high with fever and going now.

Plainsong
02-18-2011, 10:31 AM
But it just isn't cool. It's about as uncool as you can get. It turns real music into pure tripe and makes a mockery of acting.

Not that I don't agree with you. :) If TV has a Concorde moment, it's sure to get canceled (BSG, Caprica, Firefly, Homicide, etc., etc., I'm looking in your direction). And then you have clueless suits. Human Target had two things going for it, fun writing, and score that was like getting a Goldsmith/Bernstein/Williams shot to the heart on a weekly basis. So what happened? Some new suits take over and muscle out the creator, fire the composer, and spend all that money instead on copyrighted pop crap that sticks out badly, combined with a guy who has a Casio and can't play it. And the writing, they take established cliffhangers and fail at ret-conning them. The characters act as predictable as inhumanly possible. All to play to some lowest common denominator. They had something cool and made it just as uncool as could be imagined.

That golden age of TV, I think we're heading out of it.

pdxuke
02-18-2011, 10:40 AM
Well, "cool" is in the eye of the beholder, ain't it?:cool:

But it's not the thread to debate TV. I actually don't disagree with you, except that I see it as a positive that so many really great shows (like the ones you mentioned) ever get on the air in the first place. If you only knew what it takes to get them there and keep them there. I celebrate that a lot of great writing and acting actually make it to air. It may not stay very long, but for a business that is about money and not art, it's a celebration that many in the trenches still care enough to keep trying.

But it just isn't cool. It's about as uncool as you can get. It turns real music into pure tripe and makes a mockery of acting.

Not that I don't agree with you. :) If TV has a Concorde moment, it's sure to get canceled (BSG, Caprica, Firefly, Homicide, etc., etc., I'm looking in your direction). And then you have clueless suits. Human Target had two things going for it, fun writing, and score that was like getting a Goldsmith/Bernstein/Williams shot to the heart on a weekly basis. So what happened? Some new suits take over and muscle out the creator, fire the composer, and spend all that money instead on copyrighted pop crap that sticks out badly, combined with a guy who has a Casio and can't play it. And the writing, they take established cliffhangers and fail at ret-conning them. The characters act as predictable as inhumanly possible. All to play to some lowest common denominator. They had something cool and made it just as uncool as could be imagined.

That golden age of TV, I think we're heading out of it.

Plainsong
02-18-2011, 11:15 AM
That's true. And I like to think reality tv stuff does maybe pay for the good stuff to sneak in there. :)

Some of the most challenging music for voice I ever saw came out of a glee club. Just not the one on TV! :D

Well, "cool" is in the eye of the beholder, ain't it?:cool:

But it's not the thread to debate TV. I actually don't disagree with you, except that I see it as a positive that so many really great shows (like the ones you mentioned) ever get on the air in the first place. If you only knew what it takes to get them there and keep them there. I celebrate that a lot of great writing and acting actually make it to air. It may not stay very long, but for a business that is about money and not art, it's a celebration that many in the trenches still care enough to keep trying.

pdxuke
02-18-2011, 11:20 AM
That's true. And I like to think reality tv stuff does maybe pay for the good stuff to sneak in there. :)

It does. And, Reality TV is on the wane. Networks greenlit more fictional episodic pilots than they have in the last many years. That's good news. There will be junk in that batch, but there is bound to be one or two really great pieces of writing. And sometimes, when the stars align, art and commerce line up, and we get to keep a show on the air for multiple seasons that we can actually be proud of--both as viewers and writers!

GreatGazukes
02-18-2011, 01:09 PM
Hey Leodhas, hope your spleen venting is doing the trick..lol

And I agree, Shameless series 1 was great, then rocketed downhill.....went from grunge to middle class with dust. But Skins I liked the first series, 2nd series again down the toilet....and Hollyoaks I havent seen here yet..

Any hoos, I think I'll be the smelly old man who spends all day on a cheap ticket on the public transport muttering profanities and walking up and down the aisles, I'll grunt "hi" when I see you on the park bench!!!

Leodhas
02-18-2011, 02:03 PM
Hello all, i'm feeling a wee bit better now. I'd just like to interject into this thread that I really couldn't give two f**ks about glee. my initial post on this thread was simply due to being unwell and when I'm ill I get very grumpy and could start an argument with a stuffed fish. I was ranting on about tv probably because I've been bed ridden and watching a lot.

However, watching glee is like having teeth pulled and after the first series Shameless was dross. These are simple facts for me.

Nevertheless, I do like some shows, The Inbetweeners is grand as was Firefly, which I believe someone mentioned.

I would like to pick up on one point that someone made. They put forth a belief that glee would be on our screens for many years to come. I disagree with that as I can see it being one of those shows where the ratings drop off as quick as they appeared (in Scotland at least). I may be wrong but surely there are a finite amount of times one can flog a dead horse. Meaning how many times can you rehash the same story before folks cotton on?

Anyways, good luck to them it's nothing to get in a twist about. I'm just glad I may be well enough to go and watch the football tomorrow. MON THE HIBS ! Have a good weekend all.