Learning Curve

albee

Reaction score
I'm new to all this ..... Has anyone tried BeatNik's "Speak Ukulele Course" ? Would it be a good place to start the learning curve? If not .. where is a good place to start?

My favorite is with Uncle Rod's Boot Camp. It is a free resource and widely used by UU'ers.
It focuses on learning chords and progressions instead of songs.
Once you can play a few chords and transition between them it is a fairly easy task to learn a song.
Start with a few two chord songs, then start climbing the ladder.

+1 on Uncle Rod Boot Camp.

Also when you practice the sheets, try to do chords by putting all fingers down at once to build up muscle memory. I used to go finger by finger and that was a very bad habit. Slowed down my progressions drastically. If you struggle with 2-3 chords, focus on those. Repetition is key to build up muscle memory.

When learning your first song, write the chords progression similar to the bootcamp sheets, practice the progressions on their own until you can almost do it without looking. While you do that, practice the strum for the song without worrying about lyrics and just focusing on maintaining the tempo during chord changes. I saw a post from Uncle Rod about this process to learn new songs and it works really well when you are still a beginner (which I totally am).

This is the stuff I wish I knew when I first started.

Hope this helps!

Aloha Albee,
Welcome to the UU and our forums and the ukulele...I like Uncle Rods too...and also google Mucisteacher2010 and Keonepax for awesome video ukulele tutorials and Dr Uke for songs, chords and instructions..
Have fun and enjoy...Happy Strummings...MM Stan Good Luck!!

+1 on URBC and I also find Absolute Beginners for Ukulele helpful.
51J4DFtXB9L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Another one for Uncle Rod's Boot Camp...got me started!

Thanks for all the warm fuzzies, UUers!

Uncle Rod Here.

The links to the Boot Camp and a FREE Songbook are below my signature.

Enjoy and keep uke'in',

Totally support Uncle Rod - a tuition course helps well. The ukulele has a very shallow learning curve in early days in my view.

I have an ebook about things that go alongside tuition that I am not supposed to plug here, but am allowed to put it in my signature (nuff said)

The reason I mention it is, tuition is a great thing, but check the internet, blogs, this site etc for all those thousand other questions that will occur in your early days!

Been making slow progress for a long time, just discovered "Boot Camp" Am making progress faster than wife and I can believe.

I've been playing for just over 3 weeks now. I've also decided to start with Uncle Rod's Boot Camp and I'm on practice sheet #2 at the moment. Each day I work on the boot camp and then work on a song (4 chords) I've chosen. I'm finally getting the chord changes in the song down now. I'm terrified of when the time comes to actually try singing along with the playing.

I've been playing for just over 3 weeks now. I've also decided to start with Uncle Rod's Boot Camp and I'm on practice sheet #2 at the moment. Each day I work on the boot camp and then work on a song (4 chords) I've chosen. I'm finally getting the chord changes in the song down now. I'm terrified of when the time comes to actually try singing along with the playing.
I am sure different folks learn from different strokes but am curious about how everyone practices URBC. I pratice all the sheets twice a night and strum the chords a least 4 times each.

I am sure different folks learn from different strokes but am curious about how everyone practices URBC. I pratice all the sheets twice a night and strum the chords a least 4 times each.

I start by playing each sheet a total of 4 times. Play all the chords in order, strumming each chord 4 times. Then repeat the sheet again but strum each chord 3 times. Then do each chord 2 times followed by doing each chord 1 time. It gets tough at 2 times each chord.

I start by playing each sheet a total of 4 times. Play all the chords in order, strumming each chord 4 times. Then repeat the sheet again but strum each chord 3 times. Then do each chord 2 times followed by doing each chord 1 time. It gets tough at 2 times each chord.

Yep, that is the way I do it as well.

Super Mahalos to you Uncle Rod!!!!

If you have the chords down the adding of singing is not as daunting a task. When you are practicing the chords be sure to LISTEN. I like to hum the melody before adding lyrics just to hear the chord changes.
You can also use a kazoo instead of humming. :) I just bought several, one in each key I play in.:)

If you have the chords down the adding of singing is not as daunting a task. When you are practicing the chords be sure to LISTEN. I like to hum the melody before adding lyrics just to hear the chord changes.
You can also use a kazoo instead of humming. :) I just bought several, one in each key I play in.:)

Humming the melody before adding lyrics is a great idea. Although I just tried it and it completely screwed up my strumming. Definitely more work to do...

Thanks for all the warm fuzzies, UUers!

Uncle Rod Here.

The links to the Boot Camp and a FREE Songbook are below my signature line

Enjoy and keep uke'in',

Hi Uncle Rod. I went to your links for the boot camp and songbook but I can't seem to get them to download. Help!

I do the bootcamp a little differently (go figure) :eek:
I do one sheet every night for a week, then move on to the next sheet etc....
I do the first line 4 strums each chord, repeat first line
Then 3 strums each chord and repeat. Then two each and repeat, then one each and repeat.
Then I do line two the same way as line one.
Then line 3.
Then line 4.
Then line 5.

Then I rest for a few and go on working on some songs etc..

Thank you, thank you, thank you. I was finally able to figure out which download button to push without getting a bunch of ads. I've already started the first practice sheet with my new uke.

Top Bottom