Koa Aloha Royal Made in Japan, Kamaka Japan made?

pdxbmw

Reaction score
First off, hello to all, this is my first time here and my first post. I just acquired this uke yesterday and wanted to know if this was a decent uke. From the little research I have done so far, it would seem as though the Tokyo Musical Stringed Instrument, Company is/was Kamaka Japan from 63-70. This uke, while not fancy in any way, is light, solid koa, hog neck with real inlays in at the 5, 7 & 10th frets and a nice rosewood fretboard. I am going to take it to Kerry Char in Portland and have him clean the frets and stabilize a small crack on the top. I will let the pics talk now.

Thanks

Patrick

_IGP6602.jpg

_IGP6601.jpg

_IGP6604.jpg

_IGP6603.jpg

Aloha Patrick,
Welcome to the UU and our forums...thanks for sharing your awesome score....I have never seen one of these until now....it's in pretty good condition and koa too...WOW...
Wow wonder hw much you got it for????? thanks for sharing....Happy Strummings and Have fun and enjoy your ukulele and the forums..MM Stan

Thanks for the welcome. I just got back from Kerry Chars and he had a pretty close match tuner and some Aquila's for me. He hadn't seen one like this before. It looks like a K Keiki with a different fingerboard, to me. I'll have it strung up In a few hours with an update.

I found it at St Vincent de Paul's for $5.99.

Patrick

I just got off the phone with Kamaka asking about their relationship with Tokyo Stringed Musical Instruments. The rep told me they had to contract out due to the demand from Japan. TSMI was created by Kamaka to build ukulele's in Japan.

Patrick

Only $5.99??? Wow what a great deal, the uke looks to be in pretty good condition and a solid Koa one at that!! Way to go!!!

Sweet deal! The market price for that instrument would be about 10x that. FIx it up and enjoy it!

Yeah, by the brand name called Aloha, some makers produce it, and there was a product made in Kamaka in that. Aloha Hawaii was made in Hawaii, and Aloha Royal was made in Japan as well as Kamaka Keiki. The wood seems to have used much Monkey pod.
Please check this Japanese site. There is a similar uke.

http://page.freett.com/akira1/kamaka/aloha.htm

Well come to the UU. Have fun!

$5.99!!!! This gives me hope....all the times I stop into thrift stores looking....but have yet to find a uke! Great Score! Looking forward to seeing pictures of it restrung and with new tuners!

Top Bottom