John King's CD's?

PedalFreak

Reaction score
How many albums did John King make? Just found out about him a month or so ago. WOW! What beautiful music! Always sad to just discover someone, only to find out they are no longer with us :(

But I've seen the Bach album, are there any more? I feel like I have to get everything he recorded. Have his books on order now.

Again...Beautiful music.

Thank you!

You, or anyone else know, if there are any live show recordings floating around?

Good question! I'd be interested in knowing too. Every now and then a new clip shows up on YouTube, but that's all I know of. I'll admit to being such a John King admirer that I've downloaded MP3s of just about every clip I've found on YT.

Have you seen the Mighty Uke movie? Mr. King appears in it, and in one of the extras on the DVD.

Yeah, that is where I first saw him. That clip of him in that club...WOW! heard that and watching him it wasn't a difficult arrangement, but the feeling and note choices was amazing. Started watching all the youtube clips I could find. The one with James Hill was great!

Do you know what kind of uke that is he is usually seen with?

Thanks, PedalFreak, for reminding me that I've been meaning to order his Bach CD. Who knows when it might go permanently out-of-print. Just ordered it from his site (nalu-music.com, $15 + $1.20 shipping and they take paypal). Don't know if he was married or had kids, but I'd rather see the money go directly to his estate. I hope that will at least help keep his site going (it was down for a while after his death) and his memory alive so others can discover his outstanding work.

BTW, you might be interested in Daniel Estrem's Bach release of uke/classical guitar duets that I posted about here. It's only available as an mp3 download from Amazon and took some hoop jumping to transfer to CD, but it's been in top rotation in my car now for weeks. :)

You can buy his music on iTunes as well. There are several nice Youtube videos as mentioned already. iTunes is a good way to sample ukulele artists.

–Lori

Don't know if he was married or had kids, but I'd rather see the money go directly to his estate. I hope that will at least help keep his site going (it was down for a while after his death) and his memory alive so others can discover his outstanding work.

Lori, thanks for pointing out that you can still buy from his site - I wasn't aware of that. He left a widow, three daughters, and several grandkids, if I recall correctly.

You can buy his music on iTunes as well. There are several nice Youtube videos as mentioned already. iTunes is a good way to sample ukulele artists.

–Lori
Thanks for pointing that out. I always forget about iTunes. It won't even let you browse to see what's available without installing their app, which I refuse to do.

Thanks for the links! I hadn't realized the Santo and the Strad were so different - in the videos I thought they were the same. I know what you mean about the UAS. I keep telling myself that as soon as I can learn to play even half as well as Mr. King, then maybe I'm worthy of that Santo :)

You've got an impressive collection already! I'm sure you can add one of those :)

Top Bottom