What should I get next?

LonnaB

Reaction score
So, my birthday's coming up and I have UAS.

I figure I need another uke- I have two ukes and two kids- one happens to be left handed. We all want to be able to jam together.

I have a concert Hilo (you can read my review of it on UkeHunt) and a tenor Kala- spalted flame maple.

I want something that will give me a slightly different sound.

I have been shopping the vintage banjo ukes on e-bay. I'm also considering an eight or a six string ukulele. My husband really wants a soprano, so that's a consideration, too. I love my Kala, but would like to explore a different brand.

I would like to spend around 200 bucks. I'd like to buy from MGM, if possible.:worship:

advice from the masses?

Here is my two cents...the first thing that came to mind when I read your post was a Fluke/Flea...now, I know what you are thinking "eh, i dont know about those..." But they are definitely different sounding. and they have really good intonation and action. And in my opinion are really fun to have around (and tell me your kids wouldn't like the cool color you get). So there's my thought...:rolleyes:

Here is my two cents...the first thing that came to mind when I read your post was a Fluke/Flea...now, I know what you are thinking "eh, i dont know about those..." But they are definitely different sounding. and they have really good intonation and action. And in my opinion are really fun to have around (and tell me your kids wouldn't like the cool color you get). So there's my thought...:rolleyes:

Yeah, I was considering the flea/fluke. I went to a jam a couple of weeks ago and there were two flukes. I kinda want something that not everyone has. This time! ;)

Get them all and tell your husband to get a part-time job.

That would actually defeat the purpose of convincing him to play the ukulele. He needs more free time, not less!

There's always Christmas and April 20th for caving into UAS, yet again.

Here is my two cents...the first thing that came to mind when I read your post was a Fluke/Flea...
I second the Fluke idea. I have both concert and tenor scale (the latter I prefer). Interesting, fun, wiredly cool, and durable for travel and knocking about the house. Put a bit more into one and get a rosewood fretboard.

I used water slide decals to add some custom artwork to my own Fluke...

Ohana CK50G

It is also my birthday soon and I too am getting a new ukulele. I also want one that is slightly different. The Ohana CK50G is a concert uke with a cedar top and rosewood back and sides (like a Spanish guitar). All the woods are solid and that makes a big difference. It has a gloss finish and looks great. this is the uke I am getting.

If you don't like this one, then consider one of the other Ohanas. Many of them have solid woods. At least go for solid wood, not laminate. The mahogany Ohanas are also great - I have one.

Happy birthday to you

KEN

maybe you should try a kala mahogany for the kiddies, or makalas, thats what I use right now, reall cheap and sound good:nana:

I second the 50g. How many times have I put it on my ebay watch list now? Too many to count.

But, I'm a fangirl of Flukes and Fleas, and you can't go wrong with those. I mean seriously, to have a great sounding instrument that can be used to play baseball if you turn it around is something that Fluke and Flea owners take for granted.

It's like in marching band, you had your marching instrument and your concert instrument. If the marching instrument could take a beating AND sound good, that was the holy grail.

I've got to agree with Boozelele here. I absolutely love my Flea and Fluke! And I've never heard of anyone who has bought one and regretted it. And what a fun birthday present to yourself :)

I got the Flea first, and even though I've got a huge list of other ukes I want to try, I got the Fluke because I just couldn't resist it. :music:

im thinking of buying a flea just for the fun of it.
lol
they sound pretty good i recon

Grappler, if you're anywhere near Allans Music in Melbourne, they usually sell them if you want to try one out first. Not a good place to buy it though - crazy prices!! Could give you a chance to try the feel of it out though.

It is also my birthday soon and I too am getting a new ukulele. I also want one that is slightly different. The Ohana CK50G is a concert uke with a cedar top and rosewood back and sides (like a Spanish guitar). All the woods are solid and that makes a big difference. It has a gloss finish and looks great. this is the uke I am getting.

If you don't like this one, then consider one of the other Ohanas. Many of them have solid woods. At least go for solid wood, not laminate. The mahogany Ohanas are also great - I have one.

Happy birthday to you

KEN
I have three Ohana's....love 'em and think their under rated, or just not popular yet.

Our house has 8 ukes. If I was buying another today for my kid I would get a flea or fluke. Different sound, different feel, and basically indestructible. But if you don't have a soprano....hmmmm......tough choice. Also, check out the Ohana Sopranino. Absolutely adorable and a totally different sound...amazingly loud for such a cute little bugger. Howlin' Hobbit has a video featuring one singing Teddy Bear Picnic. Watch it. Let us know what you end up with. Good Luck!

Thanks for all the advice, guys.

Ken- wow- thanks for chiming in here, I have huge respect for your talent!:worship:

I'm re-thinking the fluke/flea idea now. It would be nice to have something I could whack a baseball with. How would one of those work for spankings?;)

I also like the idea of an all wood instrument. I will keep my eye on the Ohanas.

I'm watching all of these vintage banjo ukes on e-bay, and they seem to be selling for more than I imagine them being worth and more than I'm willing to spend.

I will definitely let y'all know what I decide to go with.

Alright- I did it. MGM, my order's coming your way.

After considering all of the great advice in this thread, I decided to go with the fluke. I got the rosewood fretboard upgrade. Tenor size. Comparing deals, MGM definitely had the best deal running- free shipping on top.

Had to go with the midnight blue- to match my kids' eyes!

After all my considering, and believe me I was driving myself CRAZY- reading that the fluke is made in the good old USA helped tip the scales along with all the great reviews.

Thanks everyone- this is a great little community we have here!:)

Oh, and after I get the fluke, I'll let y'all know if they are any good for spankings!

Top Bottom