Song Help Request So I tabbed out Jake's 'Dragon'..

i guess jake won't give you a permission. as far as i know he asked dominator to stop sharing the tabs he picked out aswell. sad...

How does that whole "tabbing someone else's songs" work? Oh and When I say tabbed out, right now its written on loose leaf notebook paper. :)

I usually make a tab for songs like that because it makes it easier for me to learn and memorize the song. Its good ear training too. ^_^

Hi David,
So I guess this is not one of the songs I helped you with in the past. I transcribed a "live" version of it some time ago. For some reason I though I had sent it to you.

Regardless, it is very good training to break down a song like this. I'd like to see what you came up with when you get it in an electronic format.

How does that whole "tabbing someone else's songs" work? Oh and When I say tabbed out, right now its written on loose leaf notebook paper. :)

I usually make a tab for songs like that because it makes it easier for me to learn and memorize the song. Its good ear training too. ^_^

Because of the copyright issue I think it is good courtesy to contact the artist and ask for permission to transcribe and post your "interpretation" of their song. This is what I do for an artist like Jake, James Hill, Aldrine, Craig Roberstson etc. Some of these artists might be planning on releasing their own book of transcriptions and may not want the songs out there available for free on the Internet. Jake has no problem with the fact that I transcribe a bunch of his arrangements, however, he doesn't want me to put them on my site as this is clearly a form of "mass distribution" which his management has issues with.

Getting their permission and input by sending them drafts also provides a means to produce an even better product in the end.

It sounds like you would like to share your work with others, as I do, and therefore getting permission would be the best thing to do. However, if you are just doing it for yourself to have as a reference for learning it again after you've forgotten it down the road then you don't need anyone's permission except your own.

Because of the copyright issue I think it is good courtesy to contact the artist and ask for permission to transcribe and post your "interpretation" of their song. This is what I do for an artist like Jake, James Hill, Aldrine, Craig Roberstson etc. Some of these artists might be planning on releasing their own book of transcriptions and may not want the songs out there available for free on the Internet. Jake has no problem with the fact that I transcribe a bunch of his arrangements, however, he doesn't want me to put them on my site as this is clearly a form of "mass distribution" which his management has issues with.

Getting their permission and input by sending them drafts also provides a means to produce an even better product in the end.

It sounds like you would like to share your work with others, as I do, and therefore getting permission would be the best thing to do. However, if you are just doing it for yourself to have as a reference for learning it again after you've forgotten it down the road then you don't need anyone's permission except your own.

Thanks for the clarification Dom. I'll do that if I continue to work on transcriptions in the future.

By the way, I knew that you had already tabbed out the live version, but I wanted to try learning it by tabbing it myself this time :D I used to do alot more transcribing when there wasn't any uke material online, but thanks to you I can save some time learning new material. Thanks Dom!

ahh that sucks.. ohh well, i wanted to learn this song.. but i cant get the 1st tapping part correct... any tips??

Thanks for the clarification Dom. I'll do that if I continue to work on transcriptions in the future.

By the way, I knew that you had already tabbed out the live version, but I wanted to try learning it by tabbing it myself this time :D I used to do alot more transcribing when there wasn't any uke material online, but thanks to you I can save some time learning new material. Thanks Dom!

:confused:
That's cool bro.

ahh that sucks.. ohh well, i wanted to learn this song.. but i cant get the 1st tapping part correct... any tips??

If its hard to figure out the fast notes, try slowing down the play speed of the video or audio. Thats what I do. It helps to watch it over and over and over too. :)

It's probably recommended not to post tabs and share with anyone. If you wanna get good, you should try for yourself and it really does improve you no matter how much pain and time it took. Playing by ear and creating your own personal tabs and interpretation is best to be experienced. That's what I'm pretty much doing for songs like While My Guitar Gently Weeps.

It's probably recommended not to post tabs and share with anyone. If you wanna get good, you should try for yourself and it really does improve you no matter how much pain and time it took. Playing by ear and creating your own personal tabs and interpretation is best to be experienced. That's what I'm pretty much doing for songs like While My Guitar Gently Weeps.

Not everyone is the same though. I think I have a pretty good ear, and stuff like tabbing and playing by ear comes naturally to me. For me I think, if its being played, I can play it and tab it given enough time, but if Dom's already tabbed it, why not? :) I have friends though who learn stuff easily by learning from tabs, but when it comes to learning by ear aren't as good. I even have friends can't carry a tune worth anything but they are good guitarists.. which is weird. lol

I think people can really benefit alot from learning songs through tabs. Just look at Dominator's website. People from all over the world can learn and enjoy new songs thanks to the work he put into transcribing songs.

I take what I can get though. I love to learn new things. By videos, by audio, by tabs and whatever!

Last edited:
It's probably recommended not to post tabs and share with anyone.

I'm not quite sure about this. Recommended by who? Sharing should be our normal way of life.

If you wanna get good, you should try for yourself and it really does improve you no matter how much pain and time it took. Playing by ear and creating your own personal tabs and interpretation is best to be experienced.

I don't dispute the benefits of working through a song and breaking it down on your own to learn it. But with proper use of tabs you can get good faster :D. Sadly, time comes at such a premium these days.

Try tab sites

If you're desperate to share your tabs then you could try posting them on sites like Ultimate-Guitar.com

Its a lot harder for artists' lawyers to pick on large sites like this, and morally, if almost every other artist in the world has tabs for their songs on there and have not complained, why should Jake?

If you're desperate to share your tabs then you could try posting them on sites like Ultimate-Guitar.com

Its a lot harder for artists' lawyers to pick on large sites like this, and morally, if almost every other artist in the world has tabs for their songs on there and have not complained, why should Jake?

Edmund, I don't think it is a moral issue. Jake doesn't necessarily have a problem with the tabs, appreciates my efforts, and is glad people want to have a means to learn to play his tunes. But he is under contract and it's his management that has the issue with his tabs being on the Internet.

Edmund, I don't think it is a moral issue. Jake doesn't necessarily have a problem with the tabs, appreciates my efforts, and is glad people want to have a means to learn to play his tunes. But he is under contract and it's his management that has the issue with his tabs being on the Internet.

That's not the only thing Jake's management has problems with... :p

In all seriousness though, Jake is a very cool guy, and I bet he has no problems with people tabbing out his stuff.

I just had a thought.
If Jake doesn't really mind about having his tabs learned by people, but his legal duds DO mind, then what about if he had a section on his web site where you could buy his tabs for like a few bucks a song.
I would pay just to learn the song.
The legal team would probably want you to sign some sort of non disclosure thing, but that isn't that bad.
If people want something enough, it will happen.
Look at napster...
It has been a while since I have been on ( like years ) but wern't they a free site at first, but now you have to pay?
It is because the people wanted to songs with out having to go to the store ( or pay for that matter, but o well:p )
N e wayz, mabye Jake could have a Napsterish section on his site for his tabs, then musicians like me ( that have trouble learning from ear ) would be happy, and Jakes legal dudes would be happy because it is generating revenue..
O well just thinking out loud ( I think that I though out a book:p )

Aloha
Acabooe:cool: ( pronounced: Ah Kah Bow Oh Ay )

Top Bottom