Tab for OLD songs...Please help me!

mendel

Reaction score
I have been experiencing trouble finding tab for songs that I would like to learn to play. If you have tab or information that can help me, it is appreciated.

Alphabet Love Song:
"A you're adorable, B you're so beautiful..."

Unknown Title:
"I love you, a bushel and a peck, a bushel and a peck, and a hug around the neck..."

Unknown Title (I believe it may be a Russian folk song):
"I am Smapolya, I work on the dock..."

Hello mendel

Do you have any recordings (hopefully on YouTube) (hopefully by original artists)? You heard these from somewhere, right? I don't know these, but if you have a recording, it's not a hard job to figure out chords from it.

Cheers
Chief

I have been experiencing trouble finding tab for songs that I would like to learn to play. If you have tab or information that can help me, it is appreciated.

Alphabet Love Song:
"A you're adorable, B you're so beautiful..."

Unknown Title:
"I love you, a bushel and a peck, a bushel and a peck, and a hug around the neck..."

Unknown Title (I believe it may be a Russian folk song):
"I am Smapolya, I work on the dock..."

The problem is that very few people are actually tabbing out ukulele music. Probably most of us that are, are really not interested in tabbing out old songs, I'm afraid.

Why not just get the chords and sing the songs to a simple strummed accompaniment? The chords to pretty much any song are so easy to find.

Last edited:
Check out Ian Chadwick's website. He has scanned in a lot of vintage music, and there might be something there. He is offering it as a DVD so you would probably get a ton of great public domain songs.
http://www.ianchadwick.com/essays/musicbooks.htm
They would be sheet music with chord diagrams, not tablature, I believe. Ian is a UU member, so you could ask him questions by PM (ichadwick).

–Lori

Mendel, are you looking for tab (for fingerpicking), or chord charts?

I see a lot of confusion between the two terms on this forum, and judging from the responses so far, some people think you are looking for chords, and others may think you are looking for tab (with the notes for fingerpicking).

I'm sorry to say that I can't help you with either, but hopefully someone else can :)

For instance, here are the chords for the one of them:

http://www.allcountrytabs.com/tabs/perry-como/a---youre-adorable-9779.html

I doubt if anyone has produced the tab though. By the way, don't confuse the word "tab" with "chord". They are two completely different things.

As Lori suggests, you might find the old sheet music with chords shapes written in, but it is likely to be in D tuning and that may confuse you.

By the way, don't confuse the word "tab" with "chord". They are two completely different things.

Ken, I see that like myself, you too are a card-carrying member of what my ex called The Committee for Accuracy in Everything in the Universe :)

Seriously though, it's an important distinction to make in order to best help the OP find what he is looking for.

Ken, I see that like myself, you too are a card-carrying member of what my ex called The Committee for Accuracy in Everything in the Universe :)

Seriously though, it's an important distinction to make in order to best help the OP find what he is looking for.

I absolutely agree, Jane. There are a lot of inaccurate things said concerning ukuleles and it drives me crazy (well, almost). What really gets me is when I do a song on YT and someone just writes "tabs?". Do they mean "chords"? If so, it takes about 15 seconds to find them using Google (maybe they would prefer me to do it for them though). Or, do they actually mean "tabs"? In that case, do they seriously expect me to work for hours to produce an arrangement just for their benefit? Now I will get off my soap box.

I see you are from Santa Monica. I was there a few weeks back. I was going to do a video on the pier, but didn't get round to it.

I see you are from Santa Monica. I was there a few weeks back. I was going to do a video on the pier, but didn't get round to it.

Then you'll just have to come back to Santa Monica for another visit, right? :)

Top Bottom