Up and running again

Timbuck

Reaction score
I've spent most of the winter in hibernation, and hardly any work on ukes got done..But now the Robin is singing, Daffodil's and Tulips are poking their green shoots up thro' the soil :)..and I've just finished the 1st uke of this year..and it turned out pretty good.
PICT0001.jpg

what its spec & how long have you finish it, Tim:)

I finished it today..It took about a week to assemble...The spec is..Solid African Mahogany Body and one piece back front and Neck ... Spruce bracings and bridgeplate ....Mahogany linings......"Rosewood" fretboard with Mother of Pearl marker dots .... Martin Spec: Dovetail Neck Joint....Rosewood & B/W binding ....B/W/B/W/B inlayed rosette...Arched Back (via: new back bender)....Ebony Saddle and Nut....Finish is Hand rubbed in "Button Shellac/French Polish"...Glue type "Titebond Dark"....Fitted with Aquila Strings, and Quality Tuners from Taiwan.

Last edited:
I think he ordered them from taisamlu

That's got some MOJO happening there Ken. Is the body color au-natural or been treated at all?

And what sort of tuners are you using? Source?

Yup! tuners = taisamlu ....Body colour = natural mahogany with one application of spirit based Georgian Mahogany stain ..then umpteen coats of shellac.:cool:

Great work!

Always great work - don't know how you do it Ken. I just couldn't chunk out one design ad nauseum. Taisamlu are marketing these tuners with ebony buttons at last but seem to have discontinued the 2 on a plate ones. Maybe they will be back.

Tip: Make a very low offer for bulk buys - I haven't yet had one rejected :)

Last edited:
That is a truly beautiful thing.

How in blazes did you manage to cut a one piece back and front? I tried that, and my bandsaw blade hit the fence just a few inches into the cut! How do you keep it going straight through? more blade tension? I need to know the secrets!

Curious Kid - do your research! Re-sawing requires 3 things: an accurately fully powered and set up bandsaw, a new hard point skip tooth saw blade and an understanding of something called blade drift. James Krenov goes over this in detail in his first book on cabinet making - not all the answers are found over the net!

it's called Re-sawing? Haha! I've been crapshooting methods off of pictures due to lack of knowledge. I'd love to get properly educated, but I didn't know which books to read! Is there a good list of professional luthier-recommended books somewhere that I could start reading my way through? I've heard of making and mastering wood planes, and the cumpiano guitar book, and now this cabinet making book, but those are it. I suppose it's enough to get started though, I'll pay a visit to my library.

have you any suggestions for other books I should peruse? I'm eager to learn!

And thanks much!

Making is a combination of skills - wood technology, cabinet making, engineering, art and so many others. I come from a teaching background that covered 4 disciplines, 8 years cabinet making and designing and you know the rest. Before I left for vacation I was using my engineering skills to taper turn a new location pin for my LMII fretting template. I have to make a drill jig when I get back which will mean some precision metal turning, heat treatment, template routing and precision boring. All this so I can accurately drill 4 holes in a headstock without the use of a pillar drill. You don't learn this stuff overnight. I also have a new set of bending forms to make which will require template routing technology - engineering wood - a skill that is got in foundry 'pattern making'. And still I had to watch Allen,s video of grainfilling about 6 times to get any confidence to approach it - I had previously used a rubber squeegee to press the epoxy into the grain and was nervous of the credit card approach even though I had known about it for ages. This business is a never ending learning curve and most of it isn't found in books - in fact, I think most luthiery books are really unhelpful and very quirky. The best I ever read was by a guy called Mcleod - it's now out of print. The American ones have very 'unique' processes and design ideas which I find very odd. Can I suggest you go to YouTube and look up every building video for stringed instruments you can - I regularly do and there are some great nuggets to be had there.

I could never devote as much effort to precision, that is impressive.

I learned after I started building that youtube really is an EXCELLENT tool for learning the various methods of what you call "Making." I'll certainly be using it more and doing more research as I progress. Thanks for the information.

As for the subject of grain filling.... that will most certainly put my nerves in a bundle when I first try it. You can be sure I will be watching videos more than 6 times.

Top Bottom