Favorite Hawaiian Music?

I like it all.. But, what I can nail down is that I can listen to the late Israel Kamakawio'ole all day.

What is your favorite Hawaiian Music?

Preferably turn of the century to the 40's-50's? But any newer stuff is good too :) Just curious.

For the older stuff, several compilations come to mind: Lei of Stars, and the Vintage Hawaiian Music series. Some of the artists I really like are Andy Iona, Andy Cummings, Lani McIntire, Dick McIntire, Sol Hoopii, and Gabby Pahinui (who started recording in the 1940s but had a major revival in the 1970s).

After a lifetime of listening to mostly vintage music, I'm still discovering contemporary music, but a few artists that come to mind are Cyril Pahinui (son of the aforementioned Gabby), the Brothers Cazimero, Sunday Manoa, Keali'i Reichel, Ledward Ka'apana...

Some of my favorite contemporary Hawaiian artists are Na Palapalai, Pa'ahana, and Kainani Kahaunaele.

I love the sound of any vintage Hawaiian music including many of the artists janeray mentions.

And I love Genoa Keawe.

Thanks for the replies!

Been in a "I need new music" mood. Been into IZ, Gabby, Ledward & Cyril for awhile. Wanted to see what else is out there :)

Thanks, and keep the suggestions coming!

For older stuff (70's ish) it's Kalapana and Cecilio & Kapono all day.

I listen to it all though, early stuff all the way to Koa'uka, Kolohe Kai, and the rest of the current stuff.

I pretty much listen to Hawaiian/Jawaiian stuff all day.

I really like Rev. Dennis Kamakahi, who plays a mean slack key guitar and has written more than 800 songs.

Here he is performing Pua Hone, the song he wrote to propose to his wife in Hawai'i by telephone from Seattle.

And here he's performing another of his compositions, Koke'e, with his ukulele-playing son, David.

Aloha Pedal Freak,
Love it all, so much here and many many talented people......Happy Strummings...MM Stan..

My Lanikai has Rev Dennis Kamakahi's autograph on it, among others...
I must add Mahi Beamer to those already mentioned, and I must re-iterate that Na Palapalai are amazing. I also really Like Steven Espaniola. I listen to a lot of Hawaiian music, Daniel Ho, Herb Ohta, Jr., Weldon Kekauoha, George Kahumoku, Ata Damasco... Those are just the ones that come to mind that have not been mentioned yet.

I love Iz (particularly the Facing Future album), Na Leo, the Brothers Cazimero (great in concert if you ever get the chance to see them, go!). I also have some tracks on my iPod and/or like Ho'okena (featuring Chris Kamaka of Kamaka Ukulele on bass), Keola and Kapono Beamer, Amy Hanaialii Gilliom, Raiatea Helm and Keali'i Reichel.

I'm not sure if it counts as Hawaiian since they are uke artists, but I also love Brittni Paiva and Herb Ohta Jr.

to name only a few of my faves:

- Hapa (Barry Flanagan and Nathan Aweau)

- Troy Fernandez (fantastic uke player, former Ka'au Crater Boys)

- Koa'uka (Wes Mulivai on uke, contemporary Hawaiian /pop)

- Bruddah Iz (of course!)

- Kapena (featuring Kelly DeLima on uke)

- Keali'i Reichel (oh yeah!)

- Peter Moon

Some very old music: music for the uke written by Ernest Ka'ai, and preserved for us by the late John King. You may need a traditional uke (soprano) to play them.

Top Bottom