String Change

joeybug

Reaction score
Hi everyone :D

I changed Hoa's strings from the GHS she came with to Worth Brown's and I gotta say, I love the change. I'm still having to tune her frequently, but will post a sound sample asap. I think she sounds mellower!

Any string changes to report?

Also, Hoa has 16/17 frets, but I'm pretty sure she's still Soprano...am I right or is she Concert?

Joey

Please post the sound sample! :D I love those :)

I have a love/hate (mostly hate) relationship with my strings. The Aquilas that came with it were fine, until I cut grooves into the bottom of them from my 4 hour a day playing and the sound went out the window. So, on went some Martin Fluorocarbons! Beautiful sound, absolutely perfect... but there was fret buzz -.- so, after a couple weeks of it driving me crazy I went to a local pawn shop and picked up some black diamonds, hoping beyond hope that I would like the sound. Sadly, with the black diamonds, the intonation is crap. And they go out of tune FAST. So, HOPEFULLY my next order of strings will sit right with little Kolohe, I'm planning on ordering some Fremont Blacklines. We'll see how that goes!

Hi everyone :D

I changed Hoa's strings from the GHS she came with to Worth Brown's and I gotta say, I love the change. I'm still having to tune her frequently, but will post a sound sample asap. I think she sounds mellower!

Any string changes to report?

Also, Hoa has 16/17 frets, but I'm pretty sure she's still Soprano...am I right or is she Concert?

Joey

measure the scale, from the nut to saddle.
13" is soprano
15" is concert
17" is tenor
20" is baritone
all approx as builders may tweek them just a bit.

Please post the sound sample! :D I love those :)

I shall post one ASAP! Just gotta get her in tune for more than a few moments!

measure the scale, from the nut to saddle.
13" is soprano
15" is concert
17" is tenor
20" is baritone
all approx as builders may tweek them just a bit.

She's a Soprano, Stan said the fret different is because she's a better build than Lilo or Rhea

Well, it's not necessarily *better*, just different. On Hoa, the fretboard is extended over the soundboard. This gives you more frets to play with (a handful of higher notes). At my current level, I prefer the shorter fretboards, as I don't ever fret that high up, and it keeps me from banging my fingers on the fretboard when strumming enthusiastically. :)

Well, it's not necessarily *better*, just different. On Hoa, the fretboard is extended over the soundboard. This gives you more frets to play with (a handful of higher notes). At my current level, I prefer the shorter fretboards, as I don't ever fret that high up, and it keeps me from banging my fingers on the fretboard when strumming enthusiastically. :)

You said it better than I did!

Top Bottom