Sonny D and UAS

Uncle Leroy

UU VIP
UU VIP
Reaction score
Hi all,
I just won a Sonny D tenor of the eBay. I was wondering does anyone own of his instruments and if so, what can I expect. All opinions are welcomed. Mahalo.

We have a great friend in Atlanta who has a custom Sonny D that is a GREAT sounding uke. Its the only one that I've seen or played personally, but there are quite a few on UU. Is yours "bell" shaped??

I have already purchased one of ebay for around 40,000 Yen, just waiting to recieve it. I was very lucky to get one at that price.

Shin,
Thanks alot. I didn't think I could win the auction for that price. What do you think about Sonny D ukuleles?

Uncle Leroy,
I think Sonny D to be a very unique ukulele. Because body wood is thick, the new instrument does not sound much. But when you play it after few years will grow to amazing sound. And recently, much has been carefully finished. It is not modern, but it is great ukulele which is not similar elsewhere.
Looking forward to arrival!

Uncle Leroy, check your private message folder. Okilele meets tomorrow at Kadena Marina, 1600-1900. Hope to see you there!

I have a couple of Sonny D ukuleles. One is a Martin tenor replica he made for me. Sounds great!

Thanks Rayray, I am getting excited about waiting to receive it. The one that I won is all koa, even the fingerboard. I am pretty hyped about it.

i own two sonnys d ukuleles a tenor 4 string spruce and a koa 6 string, to me they are one of the best sounding ukes , easy to play and still hand made .

Greetings to Okinawa. I was stationed at Onna Point in the early 60's and traveled to Kadena and Koza quite often. I remember it fondly as a beautiful place, filled with beautiful people.

Okinawa is still a beautiful place. Onna point is of course a fully developed resort area now. Koza is still a hotspot for the nightlife. As far as my Sonny D goes, well it had to go. It was not what I expected it to be. The build quality just wasn't there, the intonation was not so good and it was not very loud. Right now I am pretty happy with my Koaloha concert and am waiting patiently for a Kanilea Tenor that got shipped parcel post.

Top Bottom