Wonderful Experience

mendel

Reaction score
As a high school teacher, I see many students throughout the day. Several of them are physically disabled. Yesterday afternoon, I spoke to one of these disabled students. He is wheelchair bound, has difficulty speaking and has very little control of his motor functions in either hand. As a Psychology teacher, I am asked a lot of questions by kids that are interested in finding out about themselves. This particular student asked me a lot about music. I explained that if he is really passionate about it, he should learn music theory. He became agitated and held his hands up in front of his face. He said "I CAN'T!!!". I smiled and I said that the Ukulele taught me some interesting things, but none was more important than the fact that music is awesome because you play for you. It does not matter what other people think about your playing. Well, he was very emotional. I took out my Uke, and put the strap around his neck and I let him strum for a while. He cried tears of joy the whole time. It was an incredibly emotional experience for me to be able to bring that kind of happiness and joy to another person. I wanted to share yesterday, but I had to get home and do some daddy duty. I am now in the process of trying to find a Makala Dolphin that someone was willing to donate. It would be nice to know that this student could have that type of enjoyment on a regular basis. Thanks for reading!!!

As a fellow educator myself, I am always willing to share the love of music to my students. I introduced the ukulele to a student who passed my GATE class everyday while on his way to the Resource Room. He heard me playing Europa and stuck his head in my doorway and listened for the entire song. He has since joined the school's Ukulele Club and has stayed out of the Principal's office! Thought I'd share that with you.

That is a wonderful story. It brought a tear to my eye. Did you find him a uke. Maybe the folks on the forum would be willing to donate $.

Awesome.. thats what its all about..

Moving story! I have a couple of ukes that I'd be willing to send either of if you are interested. Sent you a PM - a Makala Dolphin or a Lanikai LU-21 - would love to "pay these forward" if you are interested.

This story made my day! New discoveries can only happen once we get past the "I can't" phase. I was trying to teach my five year old Grandson to tie his shoes yesterday. I had to revisit a place in my past that was very revealing. It's not easy to tie your shoe... we do so many wonderful things without even the slightest thought to the gifts we have been given. I say a big congratulations for taking the time to encourage this young person. You gave the type of validation that makes a person strive to get beyond physical barriers. Real disabilities are those of the mind and spirit.

That's great mendel! Please do keep us informed of his progress!

Swapped PM's w/Mendel - once he decides which one he wants me to send, I'll pack up a uke w/gig bag & tuner & get it in the mail today. "Play it forward"...

Aloha!

GMoney- your mailbox is full!!!

I think the Dolphin would be more durable because it is plastic. The student has issues with his hands, so dropping it is inevitable. Thank you so much for your generosity!!!! I will ask the student to let me take a picture with him and the Uke to post for you. Thank you so very much!!! I am sure this will be a very powerful emotional experience that will bring a very nice young man a tremendous amount of happiness.

I think the Dolphin would be more durable because it is plastic. The student has issues with his hands, so dropping it is inevitable. Thank you so much for your generosity!!!! I will ask the student to let me take a picture with him and the Uke to post for you. Thank you so very much!!! I am sure this will be a very powerful emotional experience that will bring a very nice young man a tremendous amount of happiness.

Yay for the Aloha spirit of UU :D Having been on the recieving end myself, I am so pleased to see it continue!

One Red Makala Dolphin on its way! I got your address in my inbox before I filled it up...

Mahalo!

Thanks for sharing this Mendel and Gmoney, reminds me what an incredible community this is!

Thank you so much GMoney. This is incredibly kind of you. Ive said it before, but this has reaffirmed it. This is the nicest community on the web. People here are really special. I hope that once I finish my PhD, I am again in a position to be able to be generous and help others the way that you have.

great story! Glad to see the generosity.

Wonderful outcome. Raise the level of joy in the world!

Yay! You two made my day. :smileybounce:

Top Bottom