PDA

View Full Version : Blast from the past

Pete Howlett
02-18-2011, 07:54 AM
When I started out I used to build 6 - 8 of these every month:

http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p66/PeteHowlett/2010/Brodowski2.jpg

This is an inherited piece - original owner not playing it. It took Kamaka to make the Jake model before I could figure out how to do a slotted 4 string tenor. Showed you how much I knew. This twin pukas had to have their bridges on before the backs. Quite a hairy process getting everything lined up before the back went on. Repairing stuff like this is nightmare. Been a few years since I have been asked to build one...

Rob-C
02-18-2011, 08:36 AM
What's the reasoning behind the twin soundholes Pete?

Moore Bettah Ukuleles
02-18-2011, 09:57 AM
Pete, why would you have to glue the bridge on beforehand? I build a lot of twin puka ukes and just follow standard procedure.

Rob, I can't speak for Pete but here's my reasoning behind the advantages of such an ukulele. On a traditional uke, the effective resonating area of the sound board is that area which is below the lower sound hole brace; the entire lower bout if you will. By moving the sound holes being higher up on the sound board, this brace (if you even have one) allows for a greater area of the sound board to vibrate. Also, on a traditional uke, the sound hole, being in the middle of the box makes it very weak in that area and it requires heavy bracing to prevent the uke from collapsing. You can be a lot more creative with the bracing on a twin sound hole uke.

Pete Howlett
02-18-2011, 11:37 AM
Long before I knew how to glue bridges on Chuck...

Rob-C
02-18-2011, 11:42 AM
Is there anything special about the size of the twin soundholes? IE do they add up to the same open area as a regular single one? Or is it a case of what "looks right?"

Pete Howlett
02-18-2011, 02:10 PM
I dunno - I just guessed as I remember rightly :uhoh: