PDA

View Full Version : Just Wood I.D. Resources

agilitydog
02-18-2011, 09:54 AM
I couldn't find a particular place to put this. but if it belongs somewhere else or is redundant feel free to .....

I continue to find a few sites that exhibit unusual dedication to accurately representing wood. One such resource is : http://hobbithouseinc.com/personal/woodpics/index.htm. The site sells nothing, but is quite a compendium of wood data emphasizing accurate pictorial representations. I thought it might be helpful to start a collection of some of these resources. By the way, the times I've sent a resource to the fellow who is responsible for this site, I get a personal email and by the next the new data is listed with the wood in question. Impressive to me.

Moore Bettah Ukuleles
02-18-2011, 10:19 AM
Bookmarked! Thanks. That guy is wood crazy!

mm stan
02-18-2011, 02:15 PM
Aloha Agilitydog,
Wow ....thanks for sharing the site.....real nice and filled with informative stuff....MM Stan..

dave g
02-19-2011, 01:53 AM
That guy is on a mission, eh? :)

I've referred to that in the past to try to identify what came in a load of firewood.

agilitydog
02-19-2011, 02:30 PM
I'm delighted that some have found this link useful. I'm hoping that others would add additional resources. This forum is quite incredible! I feel fortunate to have found it.

PhilUSAFRet
02-19-2011, 02:44 PM
Neat site, got'er saved, thanks

agilitydog
02-20-2011, 05:47 AM
Just received a resource from the mind behind the HobbitHouse wood resource site referenced above. Phil (hobbithouse) has put together a windows program that is a wood database of remarkable thoroughness...tens of thousands of genus, species, common names, including common misspellings, slang and country specific naming idioms and regional differences. To give you an idea: many, many 100's of eucalyptus listings, more references than the previous resource I used, www.thewoodexplorer.com database (still quite useful). It's got note making facility and provides a link to Phil's giant pictorial database online. It might not be for everyone but it certainly helps clarify the confusion of what someone is referring to from vendor to luthier. The program still developing but Phil said I could reference it and make it available (if I can figure out where to put it). Like his website, the program is free and quite useful. I've scanned and installed it (Windows & 64bit). Let me know if there is interest. I was so impressed, I made a contribution to his website. BTW, I have no vested interest, except the distribution reliable data, helpful info and the support of those that facilitate it. This forum is full of you folks!

agilitydog
02-28-2011, 04:27 AM
Thought I'd add this link discussing Australian Timber. The pdf is about 140 pages with close to a third in references. There's an interesting section on comparative builds (guitars, but the emphasis is comparative wood acoustics/psychoacoustics with a variety of testing approaches. It prompted me to revist David Hurd's work. Here's the link: http://www.gottsteintrust.org/media/AMorrow.pdf