PDA

View Full Version : Problems with Cdim

Imaginary
02-18-2011, 04:47 PM
Hey fellas,

So, I just recently started working on chords and I came across Cdim on Uncle Rod's 'Ukulele Boot Camp. All the chords before this were pretty easy with practice but this one appears to be a toughy. I'm using my index finger to barre the second fret with my middle finger on the third fret of the G string and my ring finger on the third fret of the A string. The main problem is with the E string. I can't seem to keep enough pressure on it to actually play the string instead of just nulling the sound (is there an actual phrase for that?).

So, are my finger positions correct? Is there an easier way? Do you have any tips on how to barre chords (or on anything else)? I'm prepared to practice my heart out but I'm left wondering if I'm missing out on something that could help.

hopkid
02-18-2011, 05:36 PM
I'm pretty new to this too so I might not be the best resource, but I had a lot of trouble with Cdim also. I had a bit of hard time following your description of what you're doing so I'll just tell you how I do it. If you number your fingers from index finger (1) to pinkie (4), I go (from G to A): 1324, i.e., my index finger is on the G, second fret, ring finger on C, third fret, middle finger on E, second fret, and pinkie on A, third fret. If you use your pinkie to do the C chord just before Cdim, it makes it easier and also to do Dm7 which follows Cdim since the pinkie is in the same position for all three chords.

I'd be interested to hear if anyone is using an alternate fingering.

mm stan
02-18-2011, 06:16 PM
You can barre the second fret and put your middle finger on the third fret C string and your ring finger on the third fret of the A..

chiefnoda
02-18-2011, 08:05 PM
Hi

In a pinch, you can play 2 0 2 0 for Cdim. 2 0 2 0 spells A C F#(=Gb) A. This shape is without Eb but can substitute for Cdim. Another shape is 2 3 2 0 (A Eb F# A; this one has no C).

I personally use all fingers to do 2 3 2 3 (index-ring-middle-pinky)

Cheers
Chief

mikerr
02-19-2011, 12:16 AM
Also a newbie here. I play that sequence of chords C-Cdim-Dm7, using the same fingering that Hopkid does. The trick is to remember to use the pinkie to play the C chord, not my natural finger to use. For me it was the F-Fm6 change I had more trouble with, though I slowly got there.

I'm finding with barred chords, they do get better the more I play them. Learning how to place my fingers to get the cleanest sound.

Mike

SailingUke
02-19-2011, 07:51 AM
I always struggled with dim chords. I had trouble getting in and out of the chord.
I then started barring with the index and using middle and ring finger on the next fret.
This is MUCH easier for me, it does take some practice though.
Whatever finger pattern you use it will take some practice.
Dim chords repeat every 3 frets, so now I just struggle with knowing where the chord I am looking for is.
Using dim chords can spice up your playing. They make great passing chords which is why you need to be quick.
Just keep working on the boot camp progressions and you will get there.