Help! change tuners in Koa Pili Koko tenor

fabioponta

Reaction score
Hi UU,
I bought a Koa Pili Koko tenor last month. I really liked the sound and the price of that ukulele. It came with white plastic tip tuners, and now I see the models this month on ebay with metallic gold tuners. The question is only the appearance. So I bought today two other ukes Koa Pili Koko, soprano and concert, and asked to send extra metal tuners to swap tenor. The new tuners will come with the same distance between the screws:
I will be able to exchange them with a good set of keys?
What i need?
some youtube tutorial?

Last edited:
Should be pretty simple swap - probably can even keep your current strings. You will need a small phillips head screwdriver & a small wrench (for the nut on frontside). Do the swap on a firm surface w/a towel or something similar to keep from scratching the face of the uke. Just loosen your strings, take them off the tuners & if you want to save them use a bit of tape to tape them out of the way. Then remove the screws from the mounting plate off the back - one tuner at a time - (save all the screws, etc.); remove the nut from the front & remove the tuner. NOTE: the nut on the front may actually be pressed in, so you may have to GENTLY push it out from the back.

Then put on your new ones & put your strings back on.

Oh my goodness you are a KPK fan. I really like them too. I want have a concert and want to get a Pineapple. I know nothing about changing out tuners though. Good luck.

I think Pili Kokos are great sounding and looking ukes for the money, but I have heard some scary things about them cracking, so much so that many reputable dealers I won't mention have dropped them and almost no one will honor the warranty. I've asked a few owners on this site and YouTube and haven't actually found anyone who had a problem with them. I wouldn't mind picking up one of their concerts. How about some feedback...I'm still open minded about them.

I think the problems with KPK are part of the past, when the KPK brand appeared in 2008. The excess of sales caused some fakes, outside the control of big sellers.
Before buying my first KPK in January, sought reviews of those who bought in 2010 and found no problem with cracks recently.

I got a second hand KPK Soprano from some UU'ers for Christmas and I have to say it's beautifully made and plays so well. I've not got much experience with the higher end Ukes and I know for the price it's not "high end" but to me this is the best Uke I have in my meagre collection..I recommend them highly, and I know the UU who chose it would not have brought something he didn't think would last a long time and I trust his judgement highly!

Let us know if you choose to go that route :D

Thanks for the feedback. I am getting interested in upgrading ukes, since I'll never have the shop to build one from scratch. I just discovered they have a concert cutaway that I love, and that they would benefit from new nut, saddle, and possibly spiffy looking tuners. Their stock is going up in my book.

Top Bottom