WTB: used banjolele

Liv7301

Reaction score
Hi Folks!

I have a few ukuleles and a banjo...now it's time for a banjolele!

I am looking for a used banjolele with a resonator, in good solid shape. If it has a case that would be icing, but that is certainly not a decision-maker. I don't have any strong brand allegiances. Just looking to see if there is anything out there (other than ebay) since banjoleles aren't terribly common.

Thanks!

The nicest banjoleles I've seen in the "mere mortals" price range are in the UK. I haven't looked on Ebay UK yet, but I see them on our Ebay as an International seller. Drooled at many of them.

I know you said no Ebay, but there is a nice SLingerland Maybell resonator model at auction right now- one hairline but it looks good to me
http://cgi.ebay.com/Vintage-antique-birds-eye-maple-banjo-Ukulele-MayBell-/190503672765?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2c5ae75bbd
Buy it now is really high- I would say $200 is more what they tend to go for.
This one is awfully nice....and way out of my price range
http://cgi.ebay.com/LUDWIG-WENDELL-HALL-PROFESSIONAL-BANJO-UKULELE-1929-/300527956021?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item45f8dcb035

I've got this no-name puppy I'd probably part with:

P1090310.jpg

P1090319.jpg

P1090307.jpg

That looks to be a beauty...How much are you asking, Bruce?

(Not to step on Liv7301's toes...)

-Kurt

Its not that I am anti-ebay...but I would rather first seek out people who actually play ukes and see if they have anything to offer, then go peek around Ebay.

I am looking to spend in the $300-400 neighborhood. A lot of what I am seeing on ebay are the $450+ new Gold Tones, the $200+ Rally (I know absolutely nothing about these), the $460+ Lanakai (also don't really know much about these--what makes more sense in buying a banjo uke, going with a company that is typically a banjo maker or a uke maker?), a Morgan Monroe for $270... I would love to get your thoughts about some of those "ebay standards" I just mentioned. I also just saw the post about banjo ukes from the UK, and I know absolutely nothing about these. Anyone have some experience with brands, companies, etc.?

I have heard great things about Waverly Street, but I am not sure if I would want an open back. I see myself using this mostly for grins and giggles, with the occassional use in a group/band or community theatre pit orchestra application, so I don't really see myself reaching the point where I want to invest in a Wendall Hall, Beansprout, etc.

I'm going to be putting up a virtually brand-new Anuenue banjolele with hard case, up here in the Marketplace tomorrow. It'll be at the upper end of your range (obo).

No worries! And I was going to ask that anyway so you just took care of it for me! :)

That looks to be a beauty...How much are you asking, Bruce?

How about 200 bucks....?
250.00 if I polish the frets, drop the nut height, etc...
(Which I wouldn't be able to get to for a couple weeks)....

Anyone recognize the maker of my banjolele?
I'd say it's 20's-30's or so...?

Is it possibly to post a sound sample? I would love to hear it if possible and I am definitely interested!

How about 200 bucks....?
250.00 if I polish the frets, drop the nut height, etc...
(Which I wouldn't be able to get to for a couple weeks)....

Anyone recognize the maker of my banjolele?
I'd say it's 20's-30's or so...?

Bruce, I think that's a real good price for a handsome little banjo uke. I love the MOTS fretboard and the resonator flange with the diamonds, almost like a Gibson. I swear this looks familiar but I can't place it. At first i wanted to say Kay or May Bell but I'm not sure that's quite right and there are elements of Stromberg, Bacon, and others that come to mind. It may be a catalog brand for Sears or Monkey Ward but it looks a little too nice for that. I'd say 1920s or early 30s.

I'll think about this some more -- I can point you to a couple of banjo-uke experts if you're interested.

John

Yeah, I'm a big fan of MOTS, which is why I bought it...
Somebody strolled into camp at Winfield one year with it for sale, and I bought it on the spot...

Have you taken the reso off and looked for any markings inside? It looks to me to be at least a decent-quality instrument. There are a few banjo ukes being made today but not many quality ones...Beansprout and Enoch being two that come to mind. Though that Fluke banjo-uke looks VERY interesting.

Hey all,

I'm new to this list and found it b/c I'm also looking to buy a banjolele. Is the instrument mentioned above by Bruce still available? I've also been cruising the Gold Tones, but haven't really decided to commit $400 to the enterprise if I can get something with a more unique, older tone for less. Thanks.

Hey all,

I'm new to this list and found it b/c I'm also looking to buy a banjolele. Is the instrument mentioned above by Bruce still available? I've also been cruising the Gold Tones, but haven't really decided to commit $400 to the enterprise if I can get something with a more unique, older tone for less. Thanks.

I believe that I have first dibs on it. I am pretty sure that I am going to take Bruce up on it, though if something happens and I am suddenly not able to buy it I will absolutely let you know.

Top Bottom