Uke Minutes 117 - Mastering Difficult Chords

Link: Uke minutes 117 - Mastering Difficult Chords

Difficult chords hold me back the most on my path to ukulele one-ness.

My uke is a soprano and my hands are XL, so getting my fingers in the right place for some chords sometimes seems impossible. Fingers touching adjacent strings, frets not pressed firmly. It seems to get easier with practice. Even the "impossible" chords.

It's nice to have Aldrine confirm that technique of hard-easy-hard-easy (eg. Bb > C) It’s something I’ve been doing occasionally, but now I’ll make it a regular part of my practice routine.

I'm still a beginner (6 months) with just one uke, an Ohana Soprano (SK50WG). I hope to get a tenor this year, so I hope my chords will be easier :)

Looking round for a tenor uke, I recently came across a handmade source, Mya-Moe. Their uke fretboards are slightly radiused, like a violin, so the player's fingers can more easily form chords without stressing. This seems a great innovation.

Mya-Moe ukes look beautiful and they have some well-know customers, but they're a little beyond my budget. Does anyone know of other uke manufacturers that use a radiused neck?

Last edited:
Top Bottom