I've Got SK-38 Withdrawal

There are lots of unloved SK-38s in the world. Do the right thing and provide a loving home to one.

Last edited:
I think I bought the one you had from uke republic. Mike said it was the last one. I won't get it until Thursday.

I was told they are sold out until maybe May. Guess I better start saving my pennies and giving my 35 some quality time.

Last edited:
I think I bought the one you had from uke republic. Mike said it was the last one. I won't get it until Thursday.

Cool. I was tempted to put a little note inside saying "Inspected by SweetWaterBlue," but thought better of it lol. She's a good one. Its strange how much I came to love it in the few hours I had it for the comparison video.

Last edited:
Will have 3 more in next week but Ohana is almost out. When they do it will probably be May when they show up.
I was told they are sold out until maybe May. Guess I better start saving my pennies and giving my 35 some quality time.

I might be missing something. I like the new 38, but why is it so much better than the 35? I love my 35, and as the 38 is a fine uke, it's not enough for me to dump my 35 (also a fine uke) for one.. <shrug>. Maybe I am missing something..

I might be missing something. I like the new 38, but why is it so much better than the 35? I love my 35, and as the 38 is a fine uke, it's not enough for me to dump my 35 (also a fine uke) for one.. <shrug>. Maybe I am missing something..

Whose talking about dumping anything? Some of us want them both. Better is always a subjective word when you are speaking of instruments, but the 38 and 35 are different in some obvious and some subtle ways (see the comparison videos). You almost have to play one to understand it (or at least I did). I still love my 35, but I also like the slightly different sound of the 38 and to be honest, I like the way it strums better just because it doesn't have a fretboard past the 12th fret and the great dynamic range allowed me to strum it harder. I liked that on some songs. I also like having the extra frets on the 35 when I want to finger pick above the 12th fret.

How many mahogany sopranos does a man need lol?

Last edited:
Whose talking about dumping anything? Some of us want them both. Better is always a subjective word when you are speaking of instruments, but the 38 and 35 are different. You almost have to play one to understand it (or at least I did). I still love my 35, but I also like the slightly different sound of the 38 and to be honest, I like the way it strums better just because it doesn't have a fretboard past the 12th fret and the great dynamic range allowed me to strum it harder, which I liked on some songs. I also like having the extra frets on the 35 when I want to finger pick above the 12th fret.

How many mahogany sopranos does a man need lol?

Is it mellower? What is the difference between the sounds other than string types maybe? Im not knocking it, it's a nice Uke.. I wouldn't mind having one too, just not sure if I can justify it, or if it is that much of a difference. And why does it cost more than the 35?

Is it mellower? What is the difference between the sounds other than string types maybe? Im not knocking it, it's a nice Uke.. I wouldn't mind having one too, just not sure if I can justify it, or if it is that much of a difference. And why does it cost more than the 35?

I'm not sure it really does cost more, since most of the SK-35s in the pipeline (when you can find one) were made a while ago. I am told that most Asian made ukes are going up in price, and the 38 is not that much more, so maybe its that. I am sure Ken Middleton knows. Its also a different grade of mahogany.

Does it sound that much different? - Wow we just did a massive thread on that, so if you haven't already, see that. The difference in sound is subtle (and probably requires headphones to hear), but I would say the 38 is more balanced in its volume across all the strings.

Cost justification and budgeting is another story altogether lol. If my big boy's toy budget could swing it and get it past SWMBO right now the SK-38 I did the comparison on would not be on its way to California as we speak.

Last edited:
yep.. Its more the budget thing that is keeping me from looking into it more. I just ordered the new Epiphone LP uke, so I went that route since it is a completely different type. That, and I am also trying to balance my Gibson budget at the same time as I restore a Gibson Les Paul guitar, so, I have to walk on egg shells with my CFO, I wouldn't want to push my luck too far, lol..

I'm glad I ordered when I did. I can't wait til WEDNESDAY!

In case anyone else want to buy one, the following US dealers may still have them in stock:

The Folk Shop, AZ
Ukulele Source, CA
Ukulele World, TX

Uke Republic in GA will be getting some more soon. A few other stores may also have a some left.

This instrument has been unbelievably popular and we are looking to getting more instruments in stock very soon.

Top Bottom