Mighty Uke: The Documentary

seeso

Super Duper Moderator (Retired)
Reaction score
In Paris, at a nightclub in the seedy part of town, a familiar site in an unfamiliar setting.

The musicians on stage play the ukulele.

"This will be one of the co-stars in our documentary," Tony Coleman said, holding up a collectors ukulele made in the 1920s.

Coleman, a Toronto native, is producing a documentary on the ukulele called "Mighty Uke" -- a world journey to find the four-stringed instrument.

"There's a whole different vibe, a whole different kind of music that happens on the ukulele," he said...

More information and a video can be found here.

This is too cool. These guys came and filmed us at Island Bazaar in Huntington Beach, CA back in March. It's great to see that their project is advancing.

I was really hoping you were gonna say Bosko and Honey got backers.

That said, there need to be more uke documentaries.

And more UU members need to go out and buy a copy of "Rock That Uke."

Looking forward to this one.

I was thinking this would be a Bosko&Honey thread. But a uke documentary is a uke documentary. We're watch The Jumping Flea at the next local meetup.

I was thinking this would be a Bosko&Honey thread. But a uke documentary is a uke documentary. We're watch The Jumping Flea at the next local meetup.

I've been seriously toying with purchasing that one-- if it's worth a view, please post about it!

Coleman, a Toronto native, is producing a documentary on the ukulele called "Mighty Uke" -- a world journey to find the four-stringed instrument.
Toronto? That's about 120 km south of me... imagine a Canadian uke movie!

Sweet. I bet it will be shown at the HOT DOCS film festival in Toronto next Spring then. I will have to keep an eye out for it for sure.

Well, its release date has been bumped to the fall, but there's a web site and a trailer available that make it look like it will be well worth the wait:

http://mightyukemovie.com

I emailed the makers of the movie, since it looked like it was being done for Canadian TV. I wanted to know if it would be shown in the US or released on DVD, the reply I got was...

"Thanks for asking. We expect to be done in September and should have a DVD available not long after that. I'll keep the website updated. Take care, Margaret."

Put me down for a copy of that DVD! Can't wait...especially since "Rock That Uke" was a little more punk-oriented than I would have preferred, and the short film "Ukulele," while cute, wasn't a documentary. This one looks like the one I have been waiting for...

Whooo-Hooo! Looks like it's going to be a very polished film.

I'm ready! Can't wait....

Top Bottom