Think my Uke needs a setup

Pauuul

Reaction score
I just got home from Hawaii where I bought a ukulele at the Ukulele Picnic held on Oahu. It is a Lo Prinzi Concert Uke. Solid Mahogany sides and back with solid spruce top. Model is MC Concert. It has a real nice sound but I think it might need a set-up. I got it at the silent auction so I have no idea if it has been set up. Does anyone know of a reliable store or person who sets up ukuleles in the SW Missouri area? Thanks, Paul

What makes you think the uke needs a setup? Lo Prinzi's are pretty decent ukes. I'd be a little surprised if it's not at least fairly well set up. Is there a specific thing that makes you feel like it's "not right" or are you just wondering if maybe it should have a setup?

There are a couple of quick checks you can make. With a good tuner (something a step above the cheapest clip ons like Kala) compare the tuning on each string open and fretted at the first fret. When the open string is in tune the first fret should be within a couple of cents. If not the nut is high and that string slot needs to be deepened just a tad. (On decent ukes you actually should be able to get the slot down to the point where the first fret note is spot on without buzzing - I would expect the lo prinzi to be in this category.)

Sometimes bridges are a bit high (the one on my KoAloha was pretty high in my opinion, Ronnie indicates he'd rather ship 'em too high so they can be adjusted down than two low because that means replacing the saddle - Lo prinzi might be the same way). Action height at the bridge end is kind of a personal thing - if it's more than 1/8" at the 12th fret I consider that to be on the high side.

BTW, welcome to the UU and to the world of Ukulele Obsession!

John

thanks John for your reply. I bought my first Ukulele about 4 months ago. It is a Kala, Tenor, solid lacewood back and sides with solid spruce top. I ordered a few books online and have been trying to teach myself. I really like the Kala. The fingerboard is easy, no buzzing and sounds wonderful. So, we went on a vacation to Hawaii that we planned over a year ago and learned about the Hawaii Picnic at the Kamaka Factory where we went on a tour. The picnic was awesome, with professional players, supplier booths etc. Long story short, got the Lo Prinzi with a nice case at the silent auction for $350. The reason I am wondering about a set-up (and trust me, I don't have a clue about doing it), is that it is harder to finger than my Kala. It takes more pressure on the strings. Of course it is smaller since it is a concert. Anyway, I think I am going to really enjoy both of them when I get a lot better, I just don't want to handicap myself by playing an instrument that isn't properly set up.

Hmmm, that concert should actually be easier to finger than the tenor. It may just be a perception based on difference in strings. I'm assuming the Kala probably has Aquila's on it, what does the Lo Prinzi have on it? If they are fluorocarbon strings they may feel a bit harder just because they are thinner and thus "cut" into your fingers more...

If in doubt, try the test I mentioned before. If it passes that then the nut end is fine, if the action is high at the twelfth fret you may need to have the bridge saddle lowered. You can also try different strings to see if that makes a difference. If the uke was used, especially, someone may have strung it with a "hard" set.

John

Good advice from John there - I'd just add, don't be too hasty to change anything until you've had the uke a while. They do settle down in the first few weeks of playing. It might well be that you'll fancy a few tweeks later on but give it a chance to settle in.

I'm no expert, but I'm on my 3rd uke now and they've all felt a bit unsatisfactory at first.

Thanks to both of you. I am not sure what kind of strings are on the Lo Prinzi but they look a lot like those on the Kala which are Aquila. I bought the Kala from Ukulele Mike. I even met him and shook hands at the ukulele picnic.

Thanks to both of you. I am not sure what kind of strings are on the Lo Prinzi but they look a lot like those on the Kala which are Aquila. I bought the Kala from Ukulele Mike. I even met him and shook hands at the ukulele picnic.
/BTW the Lo Prinzi is new as was the Kala.

Top Bottom