Baritone tuned in E A C# F# ? - Classical Guitar Strings

tonyyyy

Reaction score
Just experimenting with a newish instrument

I didnt really like the sound with La Bella Baritone strings for Dgbe - rather flabby feel and subdued sound. (I should say that I play mainly renaissance and baroque music and I like the brightness and delicacy of my concert and soprano but the bass hasnt excited me yet)

I have tried some good normal tension classical strings (a couple of spare Aquilas and a couple of Saverez), and tuned up 2 semitones to of compensate for the shorter string length. Is this about right? It is sounding much more to my liking (I often play with capo on second fret on guitar), but I dont want to overdo it and damage the poor thing , even though it was quite cheap . What is the probable safe limit for pitch - I am not good at physics and tension charts:uhoh:.

Any suggestions for optimum sound? My ideal for the music I like to play is a brightish sound with fairly low tension

I have an old beater mahagany Giannini bari uke wearing Worth Brown medium low g tenor strings in that tuning and love the snot out of it. So it's currently my long scale tenor and no would strings. You can also get high g in C tuning strings from Aquila for it if you want reentrant. I have a reentrant tenor and one in linear. The baris I had never sounded as good with DGBE as this one does in E A C# F#.

I just received a Mainland baritone uke. It has Aquila bari strings (DGBE). A review will be in the next issue of Ukulele Player Magazine. I will also post a video on YouTube soon. I really like the Aquila strings. I have never used their baritone strings prior to this uke. I used D'Addario strings prior to this.

I have an old beater mahagany Giannini bari uke wearing Worth Brown medium low g tenor strings in that tuning and love the snot out of it. So it's currently my long scale tenor and no would strings. You can also get high g in C tuning strings from Aquila for it if you want reentrant. I have a reentrant tenor and one in linear. The baris I had never sounded as good with DGBE as this one does in E A C# F#.

I am happy that I am not the only one to do this tuning!
I might try reentrant on it sometime

With most guitar strings, you're just about right. The heavier gauges should be right where you are, but if you want to brighten it up just a bit more, get some light gauge strings (with a wound 3rd) and go up another half step to Bflat (f - bflat - d' - g'). I think you'll like what you get there on a Baritone, and it's a great tuning for jazz accompaniment.

With most guitar strings, you're just about right. The heavier gauges should be right where you are, but if you want to brighten it up just a bit more, get some light gauge strings (with a wound 3rd) and go up another half step to Bflat (f - bflat - d' - g'). I think you'll like what you get there on a Baritone, and it's a great tuning for jazz accompaniment.

thanks - that is helpful info

Top Bottom