String chatge - Sound Sample

joeybug

Reaction score
Hi everyone :D

I did a post a few days ago saying I'd changed the strings on my KPK Soprano (aka Hoa) and that I would post a sound sample when they had settled, well it took a couple of days but when I recorded my latest challenge video for my blog I figured it counted as a sound sample, excuse the poor singing and playing - I got told yesterday by some "expert" on YouTube that both my playing and singing sucked and I should just give up so my confidence has been knocked a little - I have a bit of a sore throat right now so my voice is a bit croaky..Anyway, moving on, here's the video!

Before the string change with GHS strings on Hoa

After with Worth Brown's on Hoa.

Let me know what you think..

Joey

Aloha Joey,
I enjoyed your two video's and you're coming around quite nicely...don't worry about negative peoples comments, who try to opress you and get you down...they're always will be those idiots around...
Keep on strummin them strings Girl....as for the strings, not sure if they are broken in yet....but I like the brightness of the GHS, it matches your voice better.....Thanks for sharing!! Happy Strummings...MM Stan

Are you trying to make a living or are you just trying to have fun? If I worried about what people thought about me, I would have jumped off a bridge years ago. Dont sweat it!

I think the `ukulele sounds flat on the 2nd video, which may be affecting your pitch, unless you wanted it tuned that way. I may be wrong, but I had my son listen to it (told him just to listen to the `ukulele, and didn't say anything else) - the first thing out of his mouth was "sounds flat". Could be a reason why MMStan likes the GHS better?

Try strumming with your nail, and you may get a cleaner sound to match your voice.

I think the `ukulele sounds flat on the 2nd video, which may be affecting your pitch, unless you wanted it tuned that way. I may be wrong, but I had my son listen to it (told him just to listen to the `ukulele, and didn't say anything else) - the first thing out of his mouth was "sounds flat". Could be a reason why MMStan likes the GHS better?

Try strumming with your nail, and you may get a cleaner sound to match your voice.

Could be that their not completly broken in yet...will have to stay on top of the tuning. Thanks for the tip...

Are you trying to make a living or are you just trying to have fun? If I worried about what people thought about me, I would have jumped off a bridge years ago. Dont sweat it!

Just trying to have fun...and I am, so I guess that's the point :D

Yeah, between the strings settling and what always happens when cameras and video compression happens, the 2nd vid sounds like it's in the key of Q-flat. :D Worths take a while to settle in but then one day you notice that either it's close enough for jazz, or they're all out of tune together so it doesn't matter.

That's alright. I haven't had time to play much this week because my healing tattoo is right where you hold the uke, but I finally had a chance to have a strum and didn't want to waste time tuning. I was somewhere in X-flat I think. :)

Do the Worths feel nicer than the GHS strings? They did to me! :)

I restrung my 8 string last week.... TALKING ABOUT A JOB TO KEEP IN TUNE! after about a week they are starting to settle in.

Aloha Arron,
I thought I did mention to Joey the her strings are not broken already????maybe that's why it was out of tune... besides I personally like GHS...Just wanted to clear things up...MM Stan

As said, Joey, ignore the jerks. There is always someone that wants to put someone down to make themselves feel better. you are doing great, coming along nicely. Just keep marching ahead and one of these days you will be opening act for Jake, James, and Aldrine!! Yeah the strings are a bit flat yet, but they will come to their best shortly. I do like the Worth clears the best. Good Luck!! Lozark

Yeah it's frustrating with new strings. You could tune right before the video, and they'll have minds of their own by the first strum. It's like woodwind players and new reeds. Everyone knows how prone you are to squeaking like a newb when your reeds are new. You just say "New reeds!" and everyone knows it's not your fault. :)

Yeah it's frustrating with new strings. You could tune right before the video, and they'll have minds of their own by the first strum. It's like woodwind players and new reeds. Everyone knows how prone you are to squeaking like a newb when your reeds are new. You just say "New reeds!" and everyone knows it's not your fault. :)

I may start saying that when I put new strings on...I used to play Oboe before my lungs died, too much lung damage now to even blow a toot..anyway, I am familiar with that problem! Always sucking on a new reed to break it in!

I just replied to this and it went to the internet black hole. =(

I enjoy watching you sing and play Joey! Those haters are simply HATERS. Full of filth and vomit. 95 percent of the time you will find that they are quick to critisize but NEVER upload a vid. hmmmm... wonder why.

keep em coming Joey!

Boy, new strings can be annoying! Power on through it, Joey!

I read on a thread that someone suggested changing one string at a time, so that the out of tuning doesn't drive you bonkers! But that one string would drive me bonkers!

Oh I always wanted to play Oboe! The one time I had a solo with a director somehow unfamiliar with woodwind instruments, the piece opened with a solo and I let out a nice big squeak. The look of sheer horror in his eyes was priceless. But then he was conducting 7/4 as 4/4, so I wasn't bothered by his total loss of confidence in me. :)

It's always fun to see it happen to pros. They soak the reeds in water and everything, but still, might well get a squeak. :)

Top Bottom