Uke Shop in LA?

de24

Reaction score
Anyone know of a good store in the LA area that carries a decent selection of ukes? Thanks!

I second janeray's nominations.

If you ever feel like going on a road trip to San Diego there are two great stores on the way. Buffalo Brothers in Carlsbad (http://www.buffalobrosguitars.com/ukuleles.html) has a good supply - they currently have 10 Kamakas in stock, and the Blue Guitar always has some nice K ukuleles (http://theblueguitar.com/index2.php) -- they seem to get Ko'olaus more than other stores do.

It would be more helpful if you said where in LA. All the above places are good, but the nearest to me of those mentioned is 20 miles away. In the west San Fernando Valley, Guitar Merchant (7503 Topanga) has an interesting selection while Kay's Music Scene (Tampa & Victory) carries a large variety.

I'm in the Silverlake/Echo Park area.

Larry Larson Music (on Glenoaks) in Glendale has a good selection of low to mid priced ukuleles. I bought my first two ukuleles from him, and another 5 for Xmas presents last year. When I was looking a few years ago, Charles Music in Glendale had a few, but not nearly as many as Larry Larson.

–Lori

P.S.- another one in Santa Monica is True Tone Music.

Thanks for these great suggestions all. I did know about McCabes and will be heading there next time I'm on the west side of town.

Larry Larson's in Glendale was good, but I actually found a great shop in Echo Park on the corner of Sunset and Alvarado. They had a nice selection of Fleas, Flukes, Mahalos, and some top of the line (read: expensive) brand I'd never heard of. Also had a full line of Boulder Creek Riptides. I played around on a concert with a pickup and boy did I want to leave the store with that thing!

Buffalo Bros is Carlsbad I knew about too from when I went to grad school in San Diego. They also had some great mandolins there. Huge store.

I actually found a great shop in Echo Park on the corner of Sunset and Alvarado. They had a nice selection of Fleas, Flukes, Mahalos, and some top of the line (read: expensive) brand I'd never heard of.

Wow, a uke shop in Echo Park? Amazing. I lived in EP years ago, long before it gentrified. It must have been The Fretted Frog?

I visited McCabe's a couple of weeks ago on the advice of some people here (I'm from Chicago but my sister lives in LA). Great place. Lots of ukes, nice friendly people. Good guitar shop as well. I will definitely try to get back there in the future. McCabe's is everything a music store should be.

-Pete

Top Bottom