Kala meets Kanile'a

Ken of York

Reaction score
Having quickly found myself in charge of two Tenor Ukes (another victim of UAS) I decided to try and record the same tune with each. It was a good exercise as I have been guilty of neglecting the Kala since the Kanile'a turned up and it needed a little love. It isn't a proper 'comparison' as one is Low G. Also I give each version a different stroke pattern

The Kala (first in vid) has Worth Browns on to counter some of the brightness of the Cedar Top, the Kanile'a has Worth Clear Low G

oh and the tune is Präludium by Carulli, around 200 years old (the tune not Carulli)

Cheers, Ken.

Wow, if the Kala had Worth browns, I wonder how bright it would have been with Aquilas.

sure loved the Kanile'a....great playing

Thanks guys. Yes the Kala shrieked like a crazy cat with the aquilas, now it barks like a nervous dog! It's funny how the characteristics of these little instruments are so different and defineable - also it's irresistable to bless each one with it's own personality. I'm loving it.

Oh my! How nice. I recently picked up a Kanilea tenor and have Worths on order, I'm replacing the Aquilas low G with the more traditional high G in Worths. Above anything else, I just heard on your video what I'm experiencing with my new tenor - a beautiful, deep and shining sound that has me totally sold on Kanileas.

Very nice. I liked the overall sound of the Kanile'a, but I sort of preferred the reentrant-tuned arrangement. You know what that means? Now you have to buy a Kanile'a tenor with a high g.

Doh! Chris you read the thought I was scared of having. Yes you are right, and I've become a Kanile'a devotee, perhaps a Concert size K1 satin with high G set up would be a nice alternative. Anyway it will have to wait a while, I have their GL6 on order

;)

Top Bottom