Martin S-O Uke - Adding Side position marlers

uke51

Reaction score
I recently purchased a Martin S-O. They do not have position markers on the fret Bd or on the side of the fret Bd.
Do you think adding the markers to the side of the fret bd ( at the 5th & 7th & 10th frets) will lower it's resale value if I decide to sell it later. I think it'll make playing a little easier.

Thoughts??

I recently purchased a Martin S-O. They do not have position markers on the fret Bd or on the side of the fret Bd.
Do you think adding the markers to the side of the fret bd ( at the 5th & 7th & 10th frets) will lower it's resale value if I decide to sell it later. I think it'll make playing a little easier.

Thoughts??

if it is a new mexical martin S-O then no it shouldn't negativly affect the resale price, if it is done correctly that is.

Just My Opinion...

I would tend to think that if it was done professionally, it would actually INCREASE the resale value, since that's a common complaint about S-Os. I mean, it won't resale as much as a new one, but I would pay a little more for a used one with dots than for one without.

CIMG3090.jpgCIMG3089.jpg

I did mine and I think it came out great. This uke needs them.

What I did was to buy side marker material from Ebay, you can get it from Stew Mac also. Just find a drill bit the correct size,
put a starter hole with an awl , and drill your holes. The material is a maybe 2 inch rod of plastic. Put a little glue on the rod and push it into the hole and cut it off leaving a little sticking out. When your glue is dry , trim the excess rod . I used a piece of masking tape and drilled through the tape and left the tape on till the end. If you do a search on this site for "side markers" you will find many ways to do this.

Last edited:
What I did was to buy side marker material from Ebay, you can get it from Stew Mac also. Just find a drill bit the correct size,
put a starter hole with an awl , and drill your holes. The material is a maybe 2 inch rod of plastic. Put a little glue on the rod and push it into the hole and cut it off leaving a little sticking out. When your glue is dry , trim the excess rod . I used a piece of masking tape and drilled through the tape and left the tape on till the end. If you do a search on this site for "side markers" you will find many ways to do this.

That's pretty much exactly the way Dunhill pipes get their trademarked white dot in the stem.

Top Bottom