"You Are My Sunshine", inspired by Leftover Cuties minor key version

Chris Tarman

Reaction score
At the Denver Ukefest a couple of weeks ago, Leftover Cuties did this old classic song in a slow, creepy minor key. I've always thought of this as a really sad song, but the minor key really makes that stand out. This is my take on their version.

For a change, I decided to do it in a different room. I actually had this great idea yesterday when it was really cloudy. I was going to drive out someplace really bleak looking (I had the perfect location in mind) and shoot it with the wind and clouds. But it was kind of cold to take a uke out, and it had rained a little bit, which makes the place I wanted to go VERY tricky to get to. Our soil here turns to cement when it's wet. I didn't want to ruin a pair of shoes! Today, it's dry and warmer, but also sunny. Dang!

That is kind of creepy - in a good way!

Nice job.

Very Different! Hard to understand why Jimmie didn't write it in that key start with :) Thanks for the innovation! Lozark

I liked it. It works well in minor key. Is that your new uke your playing? Not that you asked for an opinion but your regular "man" room with your pipes, ukes and bikes in the background would have worked for that song. Lonely guy with his stuff accumulating without the "woman's touch". I would love to see you do some videos "on location".
Thanks for the unique version of sunshine. And the Kiwaya sounded good.

Aloha Chris,
I like your rendition in a minor.....a different take on the song....enjoyed it and loving you new K7...I guess it way worth
it and payed off going to the DUF....how's the cold affecting your ukes in sound up there..Thanks for sharing...Your friend, Stan

That's a great version... good job.. you should put it in Mim's song remix contest... Thanks for sharing!

I thought of that, but it wasn't my original idea. I'm toying with a couple of other things, but I don't know if I'll pull them off.

Aloha Chris,
I like your rendition in a minor.....a different take on the song....enjoyed it and loving you new K7...I guess it way worth
it and payed off going to the DUF....how's the cold affecting your ukes in sound up there..Thanks for sharing...Your friend, Stan

I'm loving the Kiwaya with the Worth strings. It hasn't actually been all that cold this past week. It's starting to show signs of Spring. It actually rained the other day!

I liked it. It works well in minor key. Is that your new uke your playing? Not that you asked for an opinion but your regular "man" room with your pipes, ukes and bikes in the background would have worked for that song. Lonely guy with his stuff accumulating without the "woman's touch". I would love to see you do some videos "on location".
Thanks for the unique version of sunshine. And the Kiwaya sounded good.

I thought of that, but I wanted to try something different, since I bought a video camera a month or so ago that I haven't done much with. Saturday when I thought of going out "on location" would have been a GREAT day for this song. It was windy, cloudy, mid-40s, and I was planning on shooting on a hill called "Flat Top" which is a couple of hundred feet higher than the surrounding area. There's nothing up there but cellphone towers. It has great views all around, but the view I was going to use was to the Northeast, which is "badlands"-looking barren dirt hills. I might still do a "re-make" version if there's a day that has the right conditions. I nixed the idea that day because my wife had the Subaru at work and I didn't want to drive up the very steep, possibly muddy dirt road in my Corolla. When it rains, that dirt is horrid. I literally had to throw away a pair of shoes once after going out near there when it was muddy. They were old shoes anyway, but I could NOT get that stuff off. The locals call that soil "adobe", which isn't quite accurate, but it is pretty cement-like when it's wet. They call those "badland" hills "The dobeys" because of the soil. When it's dry, it's light and fluffy and crumbly. It's a nightmare when it's wet!

You nailed it. Creepy in only the best way possible. And that new uke . . . excellent!

Can't wait for the "location" vids to start. I'll stay tuned.

Mine is coming soon, if only I could get the voiceover to do as I want it to. Singing and strumming ain't my forte.

That was cool. A creepy version by a nice man. It works. I can picture the gloom.
DAP

Ok, I did another version tonight. Not a "location shoot" as I had originally planned. I realized I had left a verse out, and I decided to REALLY play up the creepiness of the minor key. Who says ukulele music makes you happy?
Honestly though, I am a happy and funny guy... not a dark, sick weirdo. Well, I MIGHT be a dark, sick weirdo, but I am at least a happy and funny one.

Top Bottom